• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Tail problem, please help!

Caboose

I got my 1st snake yesterday and the last half inch of his tail doesnt move, its got a read spot on the end of it like a zit. Im really afraid he wont have any use of it anymore. Please, will he ever get feeling in it again.

Did you get him like this or did you cause this? If you got him like this i'd ask the breeder or store you got him from, because it could become a vet visit which is expensive.

He could move his tail just fine when i got him. I dont know exactly what mightve happened... would it be safe to wait 24 hours then see what his tail looks like? On another note, when i touch his back, he moves but when i touch the end of the tail where the red spot is, he doesnt seem to feel it.

Might be broken, or have some kind of infection. Or a bug bite. I don't know because i'm not a vet, but after 24 hours i'd go to a vet.

They have bones like any other animal. Bones break! Another thing i just thought of was an alergic reaction to something in the viv, or that you touch before handling her???

his tail does have a kink in it, like it is bent one way and hes moving another way. is there anything i could do to treat it without an expensive vet bill?

Pictures would be a big help as what you are discribing could be a number of things. He may have built up shed on his tail which would cause it to become irritated, red and swollen. For this you will need a cantainer the snake can fit in. put paper towls in the bottem and add about 1/2 inch of water. then place the snake in the container to soak for at least 30 min. It also sounds like a burn but I believe from your other post that you stated you had no heating pad. the other possiblility is that the tail was accendently smashed tail somehow. Pictures would be helpful. The vet will most likly not be able to do much about it other than give him antibodies and wait for the dead part of the tail to fall off. I wish you luck and hope your snake is ok.

the tail is not shedding as he shedded 2 days ago. it looks like it might have been smashed under his wood piece because it was in a different spot than where i had originally put it. theres about half an inch of bad damage. will it fall off completely or is there a chance it will heal?

it really depends on how bad the damage is if you post pics we might be able to tell you but your best bet is to have a vet take a look at.

Well it doesnt seem like he can feel anything when i gently touch it. As I said before, he moves if i touch anywhere else on his body but not on the sore spot. Ive finally calmed down and just accepted it. I think he'll be okay.

I highly doubt anyone on this forum, as knowledgeable and helpful as they are, can do better for you than if you take your pet to a qualified vet. There are numerous things that could be causing this issue, from a bacterial/fungal infection to trauma induced nerve damage. And the only way to get a definitive answer is to take him to a vet. A vet consult is not always expensive, and they can usually do much more than just give an animal antiBIOTICS (antibodies are naturally produced within an organism).
I personally own over 20 reptiles, 15 of which are snakes, and have taken almost every single one to see a herp vet. As a matter of fact, I was just at the vet today, for a fairly inexpensive, but very necessary check-up.
So please, don't just "accept" that your guy has no feeling in part of his tail, find out why. Do what is best for your pet, not your wallet. It's a tough decision, but responsible owners are not penny pinchers when it comes to their pet's well-being

I highly doubt anyone on this forum, as knowledgeable and helpful as they are, can do better for you than if you take your pet to a qualified vet. There are numerous things that could be causing this issue, from a bacterial/fungal infection to trauma induced nerve damage. And the only way to get a definitive answer is to take him to a vet. A vet consult is not always expensive, and they can usually do much more than just give an animal antiBIOTICS (antibodies are naturally produced within an organism).
I personally own over 20 reptiles, 15 of which are snakes, and have taken almost every single one to see a herp vet. As a matter of fact, I was just at the vet today, for a fairly inexpensive, but very necessary check-up.
So please, don't just "accept" that your guy has no feeling in part of his tail, find out why. Do what is best for your pet, not your wallet. It's a tough decision, but responsible owners are not penny pinchers when it comes to their pet's well-being

best advice rep power up check +

Back