• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

DIY: Making my own cage furniture...

I'm not diggin' the people who are just linking threads (especially if they didn't write them). Why not instead PM Rich the links to move them here if they are really DIY. The thread linked here isn't even DIY.

I'm not diggin' the people who are just linking threads (especially if they didn't write them). Why not instead PM Rich the links to move them here if they are really DIY. The thread linked here isn't even DIY.
Why bother Rich? Does the link to the info hurt anyone? I link to websites and content that isn't mine all the time so people can find the info easier here or from other sites. What's the harm? Of course the title should have been different.

Why bother Rich? Does the link to the info hurt anyone? I link to websites and content that isn't mine all the time so people can find the info easier here or from other sites. What's the harm? Of course the title should have been different.

I think it's silly; a waste of a thread. :shrugs:
This is the DIY sections, post actual DIY. If someone was searching for an actual DIY on building their own cage furniture, they'd be disappointed going through the two clicks just to find out it's not DIY.

I think it's silly; a waste of a thread. :shrugs:
This is the DIY sections, post actual DIY. If someone was searching for an actual DIY on building their own cage furniture, they'd be disappointed going through the two clicks just to find out it's not DIY.
I completely disagree. It's a DIY thread from 2002 before the DIY section existed. The title should have been different as I stated but I don't see an issue linking to it. I think he would have improved the chances of someone finding info on "making you're own bowls and furniture out of sculpy clay" if the title was correct. If someone did a search on bowls in the DIY section maybe they would find this thread. I still don't see the harm in it.

I completely disagree. It's a DIY thread from 2002 before the DIY section existed. The title should have been different as I stated but I don't see an issue linking to it. I think he would have improved the chances of someone finding info on "making you're own bowls and furniture out of sculpy clay" if the title was correct. If someone did a search on bowls in the DIY section maybe they would find this thread. I still don't see the harm in it.

You disagreeing with me isn't going to change my opinion. ;)
Their is no step by step instruction on the thread on how to make anything, so how is it DIY? :shrugs: Why link a thread that can already be searched for as is (which is why I suggested moving it as opposed to linking it)? Whole thing reminds me of this thread.
Either way, we're going to have to agree to disagree on the whole thing. I have my point, you have yours. :)

You disagreeing with me isn't going to change my opinion. ;)
Their is no step by step instruction on the thread on how to make anything, so how is it DIY? :shrugs: Why link a thread that can already be searched for as is (which is why I suggested moving it as opposed to linking it)? Whole thing reminds me of this thread.
Either way, we're going to have to agree to disagree on the whole thing. I have my point, you have yours. :)
Nor am I trying to change your opinion... I just don't agree with your opinion. ;)

DIY doesn't stand for "step by step". Come on... you take clay and put it in the oven... how many steps do you need. In any case you're "doing it yourself". The link you gave is a bit different... that info is a lot easier to find and in the appropriate area. Rich could move the thread and that woud be fine if he has the time. I guess I'm not diggin' someone discouraging someone else that's only trying to be helpful. Just seem uneccessarily negative. It's like telling all the noobs you're not going to answer their question because it's been asked a thousand times and they should have done a search for the info.

I think my threads, were all STEP BY STEP. So it's not all the posts that have links. I just rather post a link to the step by step than copy and paste it and have people ask me questions.

VinnyJ said:
DIY doesn't stand for "step by step". Come on... you take clay and put it in the oven... how many steps do you need. In any case you're "doing it yourself".

Then why post it at all if it's nothing but putting clay in the oven? ;)

VinnyJ said:
I guess I'm not diggin' someone discouraging someone else that's only trying to be helpful. Just seem uneccessarily negative. It's like telling all the noobs you're not going to answer their question because it's been asked a thousand times and they should have done a search for the info.

You're comparing apples to oranges there. ;) If you run a search...and the thread you click on is just a link to ANOTHER thread on the forum...How do you know if the link in the thread you already searched for is what you really want? You don't think that's even a little silly? Creating threads to an existing thread that can just be searched for in the first place?

I think my threads, were all STEP BY STEP. So it's not all the posts that have links. I just rather post a link to the step by step than copy and paste it and have people ask me questions.

I never said it was all the threads with just links posted that didn't have step by step, but I did say that it's silly to just post a link to an existing thread on CS.com. I'd rather see the actual threads moved. Just a difference of opinion. :)

Isn't the whole idea for there to be one area where all the do it yourself projects are gathered together for easy finding? Who cares if it's a link, it still will be possibly helpful to somebody. The search function doesn't always work to find stuff. At least by putting links to threads in this section people have a good starting point.
Why should Rich have to do all this extra stuff to move the threads here? I mean, the guy is already pretty busy.

Ok...This is how search engines work...
The engine searches through post content and thread title to determine if a particular thread matches what is being searched for. If their is no decent keywords, the thread will not show up at all in a search...

Using this example...Searching for "sculpey" does not produce a single hit on this thread (it might now though since I input the keyword into my post)...However, "cage furniture" does...BUT...The thread that this thread is linked to is #3 on the list anyway.

See my point?

You all do realize if we end up with 100+ threads in the DIY section that the search function will be necessary to find anything, right?

AMEN!!!

Isn't the whole idea for there to be one area where all the do it yourself projects are gathered together for easy finding? Who cares if it's a link, it still will be possibly helpful to somebody. The search function doesn't always work to find stuff. At least by putting links to threads in this section people have a good starting point.
Why should Rich have to do all this extra stuff to move the threads here? I mean, the guy is already pretty busy.

I agree. Rich does have a lot on his plate already and the links do pertain to DIY projects. But Exotic does have a point about the clay it is a DIY but there's no instruction for someone to do it themselves.

I see too many people on forum's discouraging eachother, what's the point clearly we all share one thing in common which is loving reptiles, and any and all information is a good thing, it does'nt matter who originally wrote it.
I appreciate your link, and let's look at the positive side of life, we are able to care for creatures better than ever before in captivity, and it's all because people shared information and encouraged others to use the best techniques for the benifit of the animals we are responsible for.

No, Rich does NOT have time to search out DIY threads and move them here. And neither do the mods.

I don't have a problem with people providing links here to other older threads.

So everyone just chill out over this, OK? Please don't give me a reason to regret setting up this new forum or it will simply disappear.

No, Rich does NOT have time to search out DIY threads and move them here. And neither do the mods.

Wasn't trying to imply that you needed to search for anything, Rich. Sorry about that. :)

Maybe an alternative is for the posters of the links to write a description/intro before the link so the thread shows up in a search and a viewer can judge whether it would be worth clicking on before hand?

Maybe an alternative is for the posters of the links to write a description/intro before the link so the thread shows up in a search and a viewer can judge whether it would be worth clicking on before hand?

Bear in mind that this area is pretty new and unless it is useful, Rich can simply *pooff* (Gone)...

I figured the "big guys" (Rich and moderators) were pretty occupied with all the rest of things they do, therefore not having time to micro-manage this sub-folder. That's why I started posting links to very old DIY projects. By doing this, people could not only see the original post, but also all the others that followed, including progression pictures and troubleshooting posts.

TME, I see your point of a short introduction before the link, and if I find any other DIY project to link, I'll make sure to include a brief description. ;)

I think you could copy and past the whole thing, pictures and all, too. I have a thread of mine I want to move here, but I thought just a link would be kind of sucky.

I think you could copy and past the whole thing, pictures and all, too. I have a thread of mine I want to move here, but I thought just a link would be kind of sucky.

Do you mean to copy and paste all the posts from a thread into a new one? I don't think I (or anyone else besides Rich and moderators) can do that. :shrugs:

Back