PDA

View Full Version : When is it too late???

When is it too late???

Jenstar
09-25-2008, 04:25 PM
Ok... I have posted about my non-feeders before and I have still had no luck... The Female ate the very next week after I got her and has not ate in over a month, but she still looks good and healthy... I still have lots of hope for her... But my male has never ate for me... I've had them for about 6 weeks and have tried feeding them weekly with no results... I have just started feeding them every four days because the male is lethargic, His skin looks dehydrated to me and I don't think he will make it much longer... My question is for those of you that have been in my situation, Do you think I should euthanise him... I feel like he is suffering and I want to do the best thing for him... :(

Widget
09-25-2008, 04:31 PM
Sad as it is, I would euthanize him. He's not going to make it. Put him in a container and put it in the fridge for several hours then into the freezer.

Condolences.

Jenstar
09-25-2008, 04:35 PM
Thankyou for answering my message... I'm trying to feed him one last time right now and if he doesn't eat that is what I will have to do... :( It's just weird the female is doing so much better than him...

ComoxCorn
09-25-2008, 06:00 PM
Sorry to hear that Jen....I had to euthanise one of my snakes earlier this summer. As difficult that the decision was, I know I did the right thing.

The_Thunderer
09-25-2008, 06:09 PM
I know we've been keeping each other up to date... but I didn't realize it had come to this. I'm so sorry, Jen. I do wish things could turn out otherwise.

Jenstar
09-25-2008, 06:23 PM
I feel really bad and I keep hoping he will eat, but hope only goes so far... Then you have to use your common sense and know that it might be to late... And it's not fair to let the animal suffer... I just hate playing God and making these types of decisions... I'm glad that I have all of you as my support...

Jadie.Glitch
09-25-2008, 06:24 PM
Wow oh wow... I'm really sorry to hear about this... I'll be praying for you ~_~. I don't know how your other threads went, but I must ask "Are you SURE you've tried every method? Braining, cutting off the head of the pinkie and offering just that, scenting... etc...?" I'm sure you have if you are considering euthanizing, I just didn't see it on this specific thread so I had to ask...

I really hope he feeds tonight!!

Jenstar
09-25-2008, 06:33 PM
Yah I've tried all of those methods plus a few more... He's just so skinny and weak... I can see the bones in the top of his head and he look dehydrated... I put his head above the water bowl and set him in it and he just sits there submerged... I truly think he's past the point of no return... If I thought I could save him I would not even be considering euthanasia... :(

Jadie.Glitch
09-25-2008, 06:34 PM
I'm so sorry to hear that ~_~...

Gino
09-26-2008, 01:58 AM
I have to admit that giving up has never been easy for me.
Even with my numbers and having it be a business I can't bring myself to Euthanise these guys.
So, I know what you're going through.
While some will consider it cruel I always hold out for hope.
I won't say it usually works, but every now and then...
I have the same problem with very old breeders.
Good Luck,
Gino

ghosthousecorns
09-26-2008, 02:03 AM
I also tend to wait and keep trying. I don't think I personally would be ready to give up after six weeks. I have seen hatchlings go for two months and then eat. But when they start to look thin and act listless like you are describing it is usually too late. I think some of them are just hatched with more to live off of than others. I lost one recently that I really should have euthanized and I am feeling bad about that.

Jenstar
09-26-2008, 02:08 AM
I don't like to give up either, but as the person responsible for the little guy I feel I should do the best thing for him... :(

ghosthousecorns
09-26-2008, 11:42 AM
Agreed.. and maybe like Gino said it is cruel to keep on trying. I have a "I should have euthanized him" guilt trip over that one hatchling. It's just I have had a couple of "I'm glad I didn't euthanize that one" stories as well. In your case the snake really does sound bad so I know you will do what you have to do. I am sorry to hear it.:(