PDA

View Full Version : Update on Pumpkin Spice

Update on Pumpkin Spice

Cinnamon the Snake
09-27-2008, 01:12 PM
So i posted a bunch of questions about hard bumps on her back, other little bumps and uneven scales.
I took her to the vet yesterday, and it turns out that she has scoliosis, probably a genetic defect due to inbreeding to get that creamsicle pattern. Those little bumps and uneven scales are due to a blister disease, caused by insanitary conditions and overcrowding at the pet store. I have to soak her in a warm iodine bath twice a day, 20 minutes each time, and for 10 days. She's not very happy about that, but i guess at least she'll be okay now.

Rich in KY
09-27-2008, 01:33 PM
Poor lil girl :( It is good she has a mommy like you to nurse her back to health!

akki_neko
09-27-2008, 01:49 PM
Aww I have scoliosis too, it's not very fun. I'm glad she has you to take such good care of her! Good luck with those iodine baths.

Drizzt80
09-27-2008, 01:55 PM
So i posted a bunch of questions about hard bumps on her back, . . . turns out that she has scoliosis, probably a genetic defect due to inbreeding to get that creamsicle pattern.Great to hear your taking good care of her and got some answers. Just so you know, in snakes it's called "kinking" and may or may not be genetic (http://www.cornsnakes.com/forums/showthread.php?t=71741) and creamsicle isn't a pattern, it's a hybrid between guttatus and emoryi.

:)
D80

Cinnamon the Snake
09-27-2008, 04:04 PM
thanks everyone! :D the vet said it was scoliosis and offered the reason as probably inbreeding, but then again, it can also be caused by lack of calcium in diet, which i would not be surprised if the pet store wasn't too good with that.

I do have another question though, if i'm supposed to give her a bath twice a day, how should i go about feeding her? I fed her last Sunday, and I'm worried that if i fed her now, and then handled her for the bath, she might regurgitate. Should I just skip feeding for 10 days? Would that be bad for her?

Thanks in advance!

Cinnamon the Snake
09-27-2008, 04:06 PM
Great to hear your taking good care of her and got some answers. Just so you know, in snakes it's called "kinking" and may or may not be genetic (http://www.cornsnakes.com/forums/showthread.php?t=71741) and creamsicle isn't a pattern, it's a hybrid between guttatus and emoryi.

:)
D80

haha, as you can tell, i really don't know too much about snakes just yet!! :p

Nanci
09-27-2008, 05:01 PM
I'm happy to hear she was diagnosed and is being treated!

Now you've made me think. What if, upon the first sign of a kink on a hatchling, when it was still invisible, we started supplementing with calcium? Would that prevent it from getting worse? I may drop some calcium on Jasmine's meals from now on, just in case it helps, although I doubt it will have any eddect in her extreme case...

Cinnamon the Snake
09-27-2008, 05:37 PM
that may help. i think another thing is making sure they get enough vitamin D. The vet said we need to get full spectrum lamp and keep it on 12 hours a day so that it can help with calcium absorption.

Drizzt80
09-27-2008, 11:18 PM
haha, as you can tell, i really don't know too much about snakes just yet!! :pNo problem, and thanks for not taking offense at the FYI. Just trying to pass on accurate information for you. Good luck with the recovery. As for feeding, 10 days would not be too long if she's been eating regularly for you.

D80