PDA

View Full Version : Easy and inexpensive Rock Background

Easy and inexpensive Rock Background

Spurticus
09-30-2008, 10:48 PM
Found this on You Tube. This is cool !
Planning on giving this one a shot this weekend. . . .this would go great with the Artificial Rocks Thread TripleMoonsErotic posted.

5Ng6GeF9mA

Spurticus
09-30-2008, 10:48 PM
Found this on You Tube. This is cool !
Planning on giving this one a shot this weekend. . . .this would go great with the Artificial Rocks Thread TripleMoonsErotic posted.

5Ng6GeF9mA

Oops. . . .lets just try the link

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_5Ng6GeF9mA

Spurticus
09-30-2008, 10:52 PM
:headbang::headbang:

That would be TripleMoonsExotic

I gotta get some sleep

:crazy01:

LBoz
09-30-2008, 11:13 PM
I think that's great for using in a fish tank, but for an open air viv, you don't need to use concrete. Heck, I didn't use it for my tank at all. I used the same type of pink insulation, but a thicker piece. I carved it out with grooves and crevices to make it look "rock like." Then I used a heat gun on it. This helps to melt it down a bit and give it a more "natural" look. After that I spray painted it with krylon paint. I sealed it with silicone, but I don't think I'd bother if used in a viv. I'd simply seal it with a polyurethane sealer and let it cure from there. It's really very simple, especially if you're not attempting to make it marine safe.

Limejoker224
10-01-2008, 03:54 PM
I was kind of wondering about this myself. If you use silicone to stick your background to the tank wouldn't all the rocks towards the bottom be a pain to clean? Would it be better to just leave it in as a tight fit or maybe use something like Velcro to keep it tight but still removable? I'm a noob here, sorry if im saying silly things.

LBoz
10-01-2008, 04:07 PM
Personally, I don't think that's a silly question at all. I don't know that I'd necessarily want it "removable" because if it's not so tight that you can remove it, you risk the snake finding a way behind it and possibly getting trapped. Also, removing a piece of foam board like that would be difficult as it can get crumbly. Velcro or an adhesive spray would make it less permanent, but I think for general cleaning, you'd want to just be able to wipe it down, which is why I suggested polyurethane. That way you could spray your chlorhex or bleach or whatever you used for cleaning on it and it wouldn't harm it.

Again, this is just my 2 cents. My viv background is completely siliconed to the back because it was previously used under water. There's no way I could get that thing out without a ton of work, and I'd definitely ruin the piece in the process.

TripleMoonsExotic
10-01-2008, 06:44 PM
TripleMoonsErotic

:eek: Whoooooooooa! I already have people think TripleMoonsExotic.com is a dirty site because of the "exotic"...Now what are people going to think? :roflmao:

Spurticus
10-01-2008, 07:42 PM
:eek: Whoooooooooa! I already have people think TripleMoonsExotic.com is a dirty site because of the "exotic"...Now what are people going to think? :roflmao:

I knew as soon as I hit the submit button I'd screwed that one up . . .but couldn't take it back.
Funny . . . I'm a moderator on a Gamecock Website that uses a VBulletin board just like this. . . .I make a lot of mistakes, but being a mod, I have Editing capabilities and can go back and edit out those little slip ups. I made that mistake and was clicking like hell at the bottom right hand screen to go into the Edit mode . . ..But I Couldn't Take it Back !!!!!!!

:laugh:

Sorry about that

Spurticus
10-01-2008, 07:48 PM
I was kind of wondering about this myself. If you use silicone to stick your background to the tank wouldn't all the rocks towards the bottom be a pain to clean? Would it be better to just leave it in as a tight fit or maybe use something like Velcro to keep it tight but still removable? I'm a noob here, sorry if im saying silly things.

I'm going to do this this weekend just to see how it turns out. . . . I'm not going to seal the background to the tank permanently. If it's not a tight enough fit to stand alone, I'm going to use some tape or clips at the top to hold it in. . . . . . . and instead of doing the "Fill and Drain" I was just going to do a couple of rinses outside and let it sit a dry several hours between showers to make sure the silt is cleaned away.

My tank is set up with just a tree and a small artificial log and some rocks. I like the Desert type set up, with not vines or leaves. I like the Rock background and I'm planning on doing some of the fake rocks that TripleMoons had in that thread as well.

Limejoker224
10-02-2008, 02:03 AM
I'm going to do this this weekend just to see how it turns out. . . . I'm not going to seal the background to the tank permanently. If it's not a tight enough fit to stand alone, I'm going to use some tape or clips at the top to hold it in. . . . . . . and instead of doing the "Fill and Drain" I was just going to do a couple of rinses outside and let it sit a dry several hours between showers to make sure the silt is cleaned away.

My tank is set up with just a tree and a small artificial log and some rocks. I like the Desert type set up, with not vines or leaves. I like the Rock background and I'm planning on doing some of the fake rocks that TripleMoons had in that thread as well.

I don't think you need to drain it as much as they do. They're making that background for a fish tank so they want to lower the PH and rinse off any extra chemicals.