PDA

View Full Version : ReptoCal Supplement?

ReptoCal Supplement?

Kazarus
10-01-2008, 06:42 PM
http://www.drsfostersmith.com/images/Categoryimages/normal/p_153331_19385D.jpg

I've read that there is some debate on whether or not snakes need additions supplements, or whether or not they get everything these need when eating pinkies, etc.

One book stated that while they may get most of what they need, he still recommends a supplement of Calcium and Vitamin D3.

Heeding his advice, I bought the above ReptoCal powder and lightly dusted my pinkie before giving it to the snake.

The snake would not eat it.

I washed the stuff off, and later on the snake finally ate the pinkie.

I told my friend about this, so he decided to try during his next feeding. He dusted it very lightly, less that I had, knowing what might happen. And just like with mine, his snake wouldn't eat it. Even after he washed the stuff off, the snake still wouldn't eat his pinkie (and both his snakes and mine have always been good eaters). So eventually he managed to get his second corn snake to eat it.

So here's my question. Has anyone else tried this stuff, and have they had similar problems with it? Do the snakes not actually need nutritional supplements after all, since I haven't seen anyone talk about them?

tom e
10-01-2008, 07:09 PM
Well, I've never used it, and my snakes are growing and eating just fine. I don't know anything else about it..

reptbilly71
10-01-2008, 08:45 PM
I have not used any powders yet but I have been using Zoo-Med Repti-Safe in my corns water dish. I change the water every day though.

Kazarus
10-01-2008, 09:38 PM
I started out with tap water, then realized that probably wasn't a good idea.

Ever since then, I've been just pouring some water from bottles of spring water.

Drizzt80
10-02-2008, 12:20 AM
Here's a good read for you:
http://www.cornsnakes.com/forums/showthread.php?t=72287

Short story? If you're not planning to breed, supplements are unnecessary. If you're planning to breed, I am of the personal opinion that supplements should be given even if only to the females.

I don't dust my food items. I feed in cage, so I inject the supplement into the food item. I haven't had a situation where I believe a refusal came from being offered supplemented food.

D80

Kazarus
10-02-2008, 12:33 AM
Thank you! For some reason, when I did a search, I didn't see those.

I'll probably continue to use the supplements anyway, but only once every month like you did.

Since I don't have a needle to inject with, I'll probably only dust the bottom half of the mouse, so that the snake will start eating the head. Hopefully when it gets to the powdered area, it continue eating :D

Nanci
10-02-2008, 05:12 AM
I actually dusted a pink with calcium and fed it to my kinked baby last week. She didn't care. I have a snake that regurged in January and ever since he's been eating mice heavily coated with Nutribac- so much that I have to bathe him when he's done because he's sticky- he's never cared, either.

Mysfitz
10-02-2008, 09:38 AM
i have a very thin female who has issues, who can only handle pinky mice or pinky rats(has minor issues with pinky rats) as she isn't gaining much eating such small prey(she is 4ft long) i started dusting her food by placing her prey in a small dish with calcium powder in it, i find it works great i can place multiple pinky mice in the dish and just leave it in there for a couple of hours, and unless she drops/rolls it only the bottom of the prey is dusted.