PDA

View Full Version : breeding

breeding

ottomaan23
05-22-2002, 08:49 PM
[SIZE=3][FONT=arial][COLOR=seagreen]:D

hello i want to know how to know how to tell the difference between a boy snake and a girl snake because some day i want to breed snakes and i want to get the right kind

Katie
05-23-2002, 06:39 AM
Well, this is kinda a hard question to answer. To look at them there isn't that much difference. Typically a male's tail will be longer behind the vent and taper off gradually. A female will have a shorter tail and it tends to taper off much more severely. But even if the snake looks like a female, it could still be a male. The only way to tell for sure is to have an experienced person sex them. When they are tiny (hatchlings) an experienced person can pop them to see if they are male but this is not 100% accurate either. Some males just don't pop. Also, when they get a bit older an experienced person can use what are called sexing probes and probe. This is much more accurate but it MUST be done by someone who is experienced at it. An amatuer could seriously injure their snake this way which can lead to infections and other nasty things (like loss of reproductive capability). Your best bet is to find a reptile shop or an experienced snake keeper near you and have them do it. It shouldn't cost too much.

Also, if you get your snake from a breeder they will almost certainly be able to tell you what sex it is. If you get it from a pet shop they almost certainly WON'T be able to tell you it's sex (with a few exceptions). It's easier on you and the snake to get the snake from a reputable dealer or breeder than from a pet shop in general.

Katie