PDA

View Full Version : paralysed snakes

paralysed snakes

scubadiver
10-05-2008, 03:29 AM
Has anyone ever had a baby snake live without problems before. I got a clutch from a women that had an accidental one. I noticed this baby didn't really move the back really but thought it might just be hungry or it might get better. Well it didn't and now i was cleaning his tank today and realized i could pet his tail and he never moved. So i put him in a deep box and finished cleaning the other tanks while keeping an eye on him. When i finished cleaning i came back and watched him closely for a while you can tell he only moves the first inch or so of his bady :(experiences would be helpful. Thanks in advance.

MegF.
10-05-2008, 05:07 AM
If it's unable to eat, deficate or move, there's not a good prognosis. To confirm, you could always get an x-ray.

Susan
10-05-2008, 09:28 AM
I had one hatch out like that this year. I euthanized it.

scubadiver
10-05-2008, 12:57 PM
Well MegF. That's the thing he can eat and defecate just not move. Other than the bottom part not moving he seems to be just fine and since he is just a few weeks old and not even mine my dad isn't willing to pay for a vet or x-ray bill. As bad as it sounds if it's not going to have a good life my dad will euthanise it. I was just wondering if there was any other way without euthanising or paying a vet bill. Like if anyone has a paralysed snake they raised. But i guess not. Thanks

Nanci
10-05-2008, 12:59 PM
The trouble with waiting to see what happens is then you become very attached.

My kinked snake was at a point where the lower third of her body seemed quite weak, although she definitely had feeling, and she was still quite active and swam and climbed as much as ever, but recently she has regained full function- who knows.

scubadiver
10-05-2008, 02:04 PM
Well i have a feeling that this baby has very slim chances of recovering but, I can't afford a vet bill for a baby snake to euthanise it. This is my first time euthanising one so I would perfer not to put it in the freezer. Any suggestions on other ways to do it. Also no hitting it on the head. I want to try and be as humane as possible without having to get a vet. Any thoughts would be great, Thanks

Nanci
10-05-2008, 02:16 PM
That's pretty much your only choice. A blow to the head is the most humane. Many people put the snake in the refrigerator to cool it down till it is inactive, then the freezer. I don't know, that makes me uncomfortable. A vet might do it for free, if it is your usual vet and you are a regular client. You can't use CO2 because snakes hold their breath too long.

scubadiver
10-05-2008, 03:22 PM
Ok thanks for the advice i can see if my vet will and then see what my dad is okay with doing. thanks.

MegF.
10-05-2008, 05:04 PM
I usually cool them in the refridgerator first to put them into a coma like state...basically in hibernation...deep hibernation. Then I freeze them. You can crush the skull also if you're up to it.

StaceyBaybee
10-05-2008, 06:57 PM
Wouldn't freezing them be like torture? I dont like the idea of that?
If I were you I would just hit over the head with something its the kindest way I can think of, just make sure you hit it pretty hard.

MegF.
10-05-2008, 07:28 PM
That's why you cool them first. Puts them to sleep and then you freeze. They won't feel it. They go much deeper than in brumation. The temps are so cold.

StaceyBaybee
10-05-2008, 07:42 PM
But doesn't the hibernation process take time, weeks? I dont know though I just wouldn't want to risk doing it myself just incase it was awake through the whole process.

scubadiver
10-09-2008, 03:32 PM
Thanks for the ideas but i don't like the thought of hitting it over the head we've done that with rats before and it doesn't always work so i would perfer not to. I think i will do the frig then freezer idea thanks.

MegF.
10-09-2008, 10:25 PM
Hibernation does not take weeks...not with temps in the fridge at so low a temp. They cool very rapidly and will go pretty much comatose in a relatively short time. I still leave them in the fridge for at least 3 days and then move them to the freezer for several more.

scubadiver
10-10-2008, 02:38 AM
Well i checked him/her today and it seems its not completely paralysed it still has some movement slight movement when its tail is touched it tries to curl around things. Im going to try feeding again see if it will get better or worse then make my decision but thinks for the advice just in case.

DiscipleRayne
10-10-2008, 02:40 PM
I'd let it go for a while longer, keep testing his tail as much as possible, if it starts getting more movement in the tail then I think he might be okay, wait until he's asleep and touch his tail a bit move it a bit, see what happens.