PDA

View Full Version : snake rack!

snake rack!

darkmorning1
10-06-2008, 01:35 AM
i made this snake rack first off Yay! it wasnt too hard. and only took 3 days to build. the price tag was high but only till you find out how many snakes this puppy can hold! :grin01: its really nice. and tons of space. yet small then my other rack now i dont need. here is something to look at.

building time: Super fast
price: not to bad since i can hold a lot of snakes
looks: its great i love it how small it is.

how many snakes. well it can hold. a few but right now i have it at.

4 adults 3 hatchings 2 yearling's
(but as you can see it can and will hold a lot more)
one bad thing is it is like a ton! but i put it on wheels.so no back braking moves. its great to have and can all be yours for around $270 thats with wood and bins and heat everything. best thing was i didn't have to cut a thing. well the white bored. only thing i did with a saw was make holes in the back for wires. and cut the peg bored. the other wood was all in the sizes i needed at the stores. here it is. i will have a better photo later in the week when snakes will have there new homes. i also have some building photos.

http://i479.photobucket.com/albums/rr153/snakegirlBannermaker/cages/IMG_4536.jpg

Rich in KY
10-06-2008, 01:46 AM
Great job!

It looks awesome!

darkmorning1
10-06-2008, 01:48 AM
thanks! i will have a better photo soon. Thermostat should be here on Thursday's. by then i will have photo of the snakes too.

Rich in KY
10-06-2008, 01:59 AM
thanks! i will have a better photo soon. Thermostat should be here on Thursday's. by then i will have photo of the snakes too.

Yay! I want to see your snakes!

The_Thunderer
10-06-2008, 02:49 AM
Great job!!! I see that you're using heat cable too. Could I see how you it comes into contact with the containers? I used heat cable on mine too, but feel like I need to use a router to get the cord into contact with more of the containers.

Mr. Maya
10-06-2008, 03:52 AM
Nice Work. Unfortunately I can't say I like it because I don't agree with holding snakes in this matter. Wich is only my opinion and we all Know what they say about opinions right. ;)

Maize411
10-06-2008, 04:05 AM
Wow really nice rack system!! Great job! :0)

snakemom1961
10-06-2008, 08:45 AM
Nice Work. Unfortunately I can't say I like it because I don't agree with holding snakes in this matter. Wich is only my opinion and we all Know what they say about opinions right. ;)

Out of curiosity. What is it you find bad about having snakes in bins?

Nanci
10-06-2008, 09:02 AM
Looks great! How'd you do the heat?

Mr. Maya
10-06-2008, 09:49 AM
Out of curiosity. What is it you find bad about having snakes in bins?Just one of those times when my opinion should have been kept to myself.
Out of respect, though not wanting to start a major discussion, I will give a quick answer.
No possibility to explore,climb, dig or do other things Corns do in the wild. as was said, JMHO. Thanks for reading.:rolleyes:

TripleMoonsExotic
10-06-2008, 10:00 AM
Where's the DIY instructions?

Rolling casters is something I've always wanted on my racks...Until I can convince hubby to rip the carpet out of the reptile room and tile it, I'm SOL in that department I guess.

Nanci
Maybe she hasn't decorated the bins yet???

Nanci
Where's the DIY instructions?

Rolling casters is something I've always wanted on my racks...Until I can convince hubby to rip the carpet out of the reptile room and tile it, I'm SOL in that department I guess.

I have one of mine on those furniture sliders- they work great!

TripleMoonsExotic
10-06-2008, 10:16 AM
I have one of mine on those furniture sliders- they work great!

Furniture sliders?
I have high traffic carpet throughout the house, would they work on that?

Nanci
10-06-2008, 11:14 AM
I think so! They are slippery round plastic things that you set the legs (or whatever) in and then you can just slide the thing around. I have the table that Isabel's viv is on in the kitchen, on linoleum, on them too. My rack is on low pile carpet on them.

diamondlil
10-06-2008, 11:34 AM
Just one of those times when my opinion should have been kept to myself.
Out of respect, though not wanting to start a major discussion, I will give a quick answer.
No possibility to explore,climb, dig or do other things Corns do in the wild. as was said, JMHO. Thanks for reading.:rolleyes:

Have you seen Nanci's rack tubs? Mine aren't quite as nice but have enough room in the adults' bins for hides, fake plants, thick substrate and I'm adding big chunks of gnarled mopani wood root as I find the right shapes in my local pet shop. Big enough for a heat gradient and for my snakes to dig, climb and explore.

diamondlil
10-06-2008, 11:36 AM
And I have to say what's already been said, what a great rack! Looking forwards to seeing the pictures of the snakes in the new set-up!

darkmorning1
10-06-2008, 12:25 PM
lol well its funny my idea came too me...so i drew it down on paper. of a 4 foot tall rack. and the next day when i went to go pick up wood. it was weird. out of the whole store they only had 2 sizes of the Melamine..Only. it was the Sizes i needed for the size and everything. i found that pretty funny. as for the wheels. YES do not make a cage like this unless you just them on. its a lot to push. so the wheels work Great. as for heat i can always change it around. right now its hot my room. where the snakes are so i only have to cables. but i have more when it gets colder. but this is FL. cold is like 70F to me.

darkmorning1
10-06-2008, 12:27 PM
as for the cable heating the cage, am waiting for my Thermostat. but when plugged in to the wall (seeing if it works) it does warm it up. but if i didn't have the back bored in there. there would be no heat at all. since the back is taped with the cable all around.

darkmorning1
10-06-2008, 12:29 PM
this is some of the cable being put in. the Longer the cable the hotter it can get.

http://i479.photobucket.com/albums/rr153/snakegirlBannermaker/cages/IMG_4530.jpg