PDA

View Full Version : snake enclosures

snake enclosures

nova
05-22-2002, 09:03 PM
does any one have pics of their snake enclosures.

B-J@y
05-23-2002, 11:25 AM
yep! here is one!

oops, no picture?! stupid me.....

B-J@y
05-23-2002, 11:38 AM
ok, here it is!

Clint Boyer
05-23-2002, 01:40 PM
http://www.molalla.net/~cboyer/tub

pdrau
05-23-2002, 03:10 PM
Hey Clint,

What are those racks made out of? Looks like exactly what I want.

Peter

Clint Boyer
05-23-2002, 04:36 PM
I got them from work when they were doing some upgrading. They are made of melamine and have predrilled holes for the shelves. I just had to drill holes for the supports at the right hiegth for the Rubbermaid tubs.

Free is a very good price!

pdrau
05-23-2002, 07:10 PM
What are the dimensions and how many tubs of what size do they hold?

Peter

Yes, free is always good.

I was checking out some counter tops at work that it looks like they will be throwing out soon since a department just moved to another location. Looked like good materials for a rack!

Clint Boyer
05-23-2002, 10:26 PM
Well, this will give you an idea.
http://www.molalla.net/~cboyer/racks

This is an old pic and they have been redesigned to hold mostly the large tubs. That's what's nice about the adjustable shelves!

kenster
05-23-2002, 10:33 PM
clint after looking at that pic, I have to know how many snakes does that rack house?? I have been thinking of making something like that, but my lack of skills always puts a damper on those things! Also is there a top on every ruber maid? Or does the bottom of the shelf work as the top to each container? Also what are the demensions of the big rubber maids??

pdrau
05-23-2002, 10:39 PM
DROOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!

heh, thanks for the great pic. I think I have a good idea of what direction I'm going with it now.

Peter

Clint Boyer
05-23-2002, 11:17 PM
They now hold 8 large tubs each. I also have 2 other racks the same size that house most of my males.
The large tubs are 22"X 16"X 9" approx. The shelf above serves as the top for the tub. It is invaluable when dealing with a large number of snakes!

kenster
05-23-2002, 11:24 PM
i need a rack system just like that, thanks for the info. Now if I could just use a hammer and drill without loosing a finger or something I would be all set!!!

Iris
05-24-2002, 02:53 AM
What are those extra smaller containers inside the large containers? Are most of the snakes females and those smaller Rubbermaids are nesting boxes? Like that entire middle column has the additional containers. Gosh am I making ANY sense? Boy I'm tired...off to sleep I go

B-J@y
05-24-2002, 05:36 AM
what do you use as heat sorce?

ROACHMAN
05-24-2002, 06:44 AM
i must say ..that is one serious amount of cages to wash :-) ..i have 22 snakes myself and i tell ya it takes me the whole of a saturday to get my cages clean again ...so VERY soon i will be building my racks as well ...just dont know where i am going to get such big seethrough containers

Clint Boyer
05-24-2002, 09:14 AM
The smaller boxes are rubbermaid shoe boxes with a hole in the lid. I fill them with moist sphagnum peat moss. The idea is for a hide/humidity/laying box. They love them. It also works well as a feeding platform.
I heat the whole room. I need to use some fans or find a way to circulate the air. It's usually too hot at the top and too cool at the bottom.
The Rubbermaid containers are great when it comes time to wash them out. They are light wieght and easy to handle, and you don't have to worry about cracking the glass!

Gregg
05-24-2002, 09:53 AM
I have replaced my ceiling light fixtures with fans w/lights in my house. I keep the heat in the room circulated by running the fans backwards. This pushes the heat along the ceiling and down the walls to the floor, which forces the cool air to rise up to the ceiling. I can actually feel the room get warmer when I turn them on. The fans do not run at full power; it isn't necessary to run them that hard. Run the fans the intended direction and the room will get colder.

Just a suggestion.

Clint Boyer
05-24-2002, 05:12 PM
The ceiling in my shed is too low for a regular ceiling fan but you did give me an idea for an alternative. I may try to rig up a standard box type fan to do the same thing.

Thanks for the help!