PDA

View Full Version : Concerned: No Tongue Flicking?

Concerned: No Tongue Flicking?

RiptheJacker
10-07-2008, 01:10 PM
I purchased my Amel from a local pet shop about three weeks ago. I kinda did this on a whim, since he was only $30. He's a hatchling, unsexed, and around 5-6 months of age I'd say (13 inches long). When I bought him, I checked for all the usual signs you check for when purchasing a snake like making sure he is alert and responsive, examing the scales for signs of rot/abrassions, making sure the nostrils and eyes are healthy, etc. He got a clean bill of health, even if he was a tad skinny. He eats like a champ, has plenty of hides, and a clean vivarium. Over this past week I noticed that he became less active than he normally is--but I chalked that up to settling into his vivarium.

On Saturday I took out him out to take pictures. He was slightly less active that day, and I noticed his eyes seemed pinker. I assumed he's going to shed shortly (he hadn't shed previously and the pet store said they did not have him shed while he was there for two weeks). I provided a make-shiv humid hide for him, and misted down the cage to make sure its nice and moist for him.

I had to leave town for a few days. His viv got colder than normal while I was away. Normally, the ambient temp is 75 degress F, and its usually 80ish on the hot side. When I came back I discovered that the ambient temp was 70, and only 78ish on the hot side. I inspected the cage to see if any signs of shedding had occurred, but he hasn't shed yet. I coraled him out his hide, and gently held him to inspect him. His eyes are redder now, but I noticed that he was lathargic while being held. After being held, he seemed to "cough" or "hiccup." And Not only that, but he also did not flick his tongue for the three minutes that I held him, very unusual for him to do.

Given the symptoms, I checked to see if he was opening his mouth to breathe. Sure enough, around every 20 seconds, one of the corners of his mouth would move. He also seems to have the tinsiest brown spot near one of his nostrils, but they aren't clogged--that could be a tiny piece of dust from his substrate.

Fearing him ill with a RI, I didn't want to stress him any further so I returned him to his viv. I placed him on the warmest part of the tank, under the heat light up in a plant, where it's about 85 on top last time I left my thermometer up there. It's been about a half hour since. He bsked for twenty minutes, then retreated to the hide on the cool side. I didn't see him flick his tongue.

I'm going to keep him under close observation for the next two days. Tomorrow is his feed day. I may skipt it since I'm concerned he's going to shed, but I also want to know if he takes the food since he has never had a problem before. Can any of you recommend anything else I might be to do while I observe him to see if his symptoms worsen?

RiptheJacker
10-08-2008, 12:54 AM
Update: Loki appears to be fine now! I am so relieved. I guess I must have caught him at a bad time. I found a clean, one-piece shed in the viv when I got back from work. So I must have caught him a few hours before his shed, which explains the behavior above. He seems completely fine now. I'm very happy, but I'll still keep a close eye on him anyway :)

Kazarus
10-08-2008, 02:51 AM
Glad to hear it worked out :)

feygirl
10-08-2008, 08:24 AM
Glad to hear he's doin fine now!:)