• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Still worried about Simon

simonsays

So, I heeded everyone's suggestions about helping Simon recover from his regurge on Saturday. He's been in his tank since then, no handling, and I added an extra heat lamp to get the ambient temps up in there. I also added a few more hides so he can feel more comfortable. I am planning on waiting until Monday or Tuesday to attempt another feed - although this will be almost two weeks since his last one.

I am mostly worried because he hasn't been moving at all. I put him back in the direction of his warm hide on Saturday, and went in and hasn't come out at all since. I know the whole nocturnal thing, but I'm actually up all night a lot, and I've been peeking in to see if he moves at all. Nada. Hasn't left his hide once since Saturday. I picked it up once or twice to make sure he was still alive, and he looks up at me a little but doesn't move. I should also note that he hasn't defecated or drank any water (that I can tell) since I brought him home last Tuesday, 9/30/08.

Am I being a worrywart? Should I just leave him alone and let nature do its thing? If he is still just stressed and needs time to chill, I can certainly give him that. He's not due to eat for another week according to Kathy Love's regurge schedule... I just want to make sure I'm not missing something that might be wrong with him...

Thanks in advance for the advice - you all are a wonderful resource.

He could be prepping for a shed or he could just not want to come out. I wouldn't worry too much about it, just leave him alone unless he's showing signs of distress.

I had an anery motley female regurge right before a shed a few weeks ago. After the regurge I didn't see her until 2 days before it was time to try feeding her again (I didn't feed until 11 days after the regurge). She didn't even start coming out after her shed. She's had two feedings since then and has acted normal since so I think it may just have been her conserving energy during a feeding gap or while replenishing her stomach juices. She also didn't poop until after her first post-regurge feed.

It's important to remember that corns don't have a reason (from an evolutionary perspective) to be out and about unless they are 1) mating or 2) hunting. If your snake doesn't feel like doing either (and he probably doesn't) then he probably won't be out.

We're up to 12 snakes now and I've only seen one of them drink one time. And that was when one of the babies decided to drink the extra water off the pinky before he ate it. Far more water will evaporate from the bowl than be drunk by the snake, I wouldn't worry that you don't see him drink or see water disappear from the bowl.

I'd leave him alone other than to check temps and make sure there is water available.

If you're going to be frantic worrying about him, it certainly won't harm him to just pick him up and see how he is. If it makes you feel better, I have a regurge recoverer right now who hasn't moved an inch since the regurge, except to shed. I've been checking him twice daily simply because he is so precious to me. He's fine. But he's a snake who is rarely seen out and about, anyway. If there _is_ something wrong, chances are you aren't going to be able to do anything to help, anyway...

i know how u feel man mine would come out every single night til the regurge... i just feel like smackin myself in the head for feeding him that fuzzy when he wasnt ready for it now im really worried and tomorrow will b the 10th day so imma try a small feed see how it goes but he has to come out of his hide becuz its in a ornament hide thats near to impossible to take him out and he has to do it on his own but i hope it works out for both of us keep us up 2 date

Thanks so much for the encouraging words, everyone.

I picked Simon up earlier to check on him and he was skittish, but felt strong and generally okay.

...And then I walked into my room just now and caught him exploring! I feel much better. Thanks again. :D

yea i hope that mine well come out of his hide soon so i can give him the 1st meal cuz hes been up there for like 3 days

I'm glad Simon is moving around, so you can relax some about it. It's hard to leave them alone, isn't it? It sounds like he's recovering on track. Good luck with the next feed.

Back