PDA

View Full Version : Worried owner, please read!

Worried owner, please read!

Slow_worm
08-04-2003, 10:31 AM
A few months ago I noticed my adult male corn snake(LOWLY) had not been to the toilet..(which is unusual as he is usually very regular) ..for two weeks.I was told a bath might help relieve him,and it did.But there is a strange shape near his rectum-I'm not very experienced with snakes so I've been looking at loads of photos and diagrams to see if this is normal and I cant find anything like this.It looks like he needs a poo-but he's been going regularly so I dont think its because of that.Also the area feels very soft and squashy to touch.He never had a lump there before,I'm just worried that theres something really wrong with him,he looks healhy though and he's eating and going to the toilet.He's my 1st snake so I'm not very expericed-if anyone could help put my mind at ease with any advice,info or contact details of anyone that could help-I'd be very grateful!
Thanks,
Fiona.:)

PSYCOSNAKEMOM
08-04-2003, 10:50 AM
You could post a picture here and that might help the people here eto help you. I'm not clear if he is pooping, (yes we use the poop word) or not, because at first it sounded like he wasn't then I think you said that he was.

I consider myself inexperienced also. So for me it would be a trip to the vet. Welcome to the wonderful world of corn snakes. Sam ~~~~~:~

Slow_worm
08-04-2003, 11:02 AM
He did have a problem but he IS pooping now,the problem is the strange lump.I cant actually get a pic at the minute as he wont come out of his hiding place-the little sod! I will post a pic as soon as I can tho.
Our vets is useless with anything without hair so I'm trying to get as much info as I can from poeple that DO know about snakes.
Thanks for replying :) I thought no1 ever would!

Fiona:)

PSYCOSNAKEMOM
08-06-2003, 01:30 PM
If you scoop him up and put him in his feed box you should be able to get a picture pretty easy. Hows he doing? Sam ~~~~~:~

CAV
08-06-2003, 02:38 PM
It could be something as simple as a fat deposit, but it is hard to say based off of this description.

Slow_worm
08-06-2003, 03:40 PM
I've got some pics,I've posted em on the livefood.co.uk forum,and had loadsa advice,most people have said it looks like fat lumps-some have said it could be kidney swelliing,or 'he' could be a she and have swollen glands,I've been advised to feed one big mouse every 7 days-then increase to every 8 days,then 9 days until he's feeding only every 10 days-to get the weight off him.I'm still goin to take him to a vet tho-when I eventually find one in my area!
Thanks for your help+ for replying:D

PSYCOSNAKEMOM
08-07-2003, 09:38 AM
I think that even a bad vet would be able to assess if it was an infection and offer a treatment for that, if that is what it is.

I wonder if snakes can get fevers? Sam ~~~~~~~:~

Alicia
08-07-2003, 10:13 AM
Originally posted by PSYCOSNAKEMOM

I wonder if snakes can get fevers? Sam ~~~~~~~:~

No they can't run a fever on their own. You can give them one by raising the temps on their cage. This can be helpful in fighting off infection. :)

PSYCOSNAKEMOM
08-07-2003, 10:30 AM
How high can they go, take it, I mean if you wanted to kill off a virus, which I would think you couldn't treat with an antiboitic, vs a bateria. Sam ~~~~~~:~

Alicia
08-07-2003, 10:58 AM
I use 90 degrees as a guideline. This has been successful for me. Thankfully I have not needed to do this many times:D If you catch a resp infection early you can swab their throat with Listerine and raise their temps. I stress early because if it goes so far as to cause wheezing and a lot of drainage they need a Vet. I'm not a big fan of running to the Vet for an antibiotic every time the animal sneezes. Like anything you can over do a good thing:D

Oh, as for how long to leave them in the "hot box" I go a week. My Vet also recommended a week when I talked to them about the King snake I was treating.

Ps: 90 degrees is for Corns and other snakes that require moderate temps. Some snakes find 90 degrees comfortable and would need higher temps to run a "fever". My Ball Pythons love their 90 degree hot spot:D

PSYCOSNAKEMOM
08-07-2003, 01:05 PM
I wonder if giving them a little echinacea would also help. I mix it with garlic for the dogs and cat needs? Sam ~~~~~~:~

Alicia
08-07-2003, 01:30 PM
Originally posted by PSYCOSNAKEMOM
I wonder if giving them a little echinacea would also help. I mix it with garlic for the dogs and cat needs? Sam ~~~~~~:~

I don't know, I've never tried herbal/natural remedies with reptiles. Interesting thought though:D

Maybe start a new thread and see if anyone has experience with this type of thing.