PDA

View Full Version : Inactive snake/Stool question

Inactive snake/Stool question

Ftbizzle
10-12-2008, 12:56 AM
I've had my corn for about 4 weeks now. For the first 2-3 weeks he would come out and be very active at dusk (around 7-9pm). For the past week or so, he has been staying in the warm hide all day, as far as I know. I'm not home all day, but usually I would see him out and about a couple times a day. I may just be being paranoid, but I am a little worried being a new snake owned. I've read that snakes do tend to just sleep for days on end, but it's not really reassuring.

To the best of my ability I've made sure that all the pinkies were thawed. But, would a partially frozen pinkie have a bad effect on a corn snake, to where it becomes very inactive?

Also, I have him in aspen bedding, and he buries himself underneath of it after feedings. I haven't been able to find any stools at all except for when I first brought him home. I was using paper towels as substrate then. Does anyone with aspen substrate have problems locating stools?

Thanks in advance.

Rich in KY
10-12-2008, 01:06 AM
I've had my corn for about 4 weeks now. For the first 2-3 weeks he would come out and be very active at dusk (around 7-9pm). For the past week or so, he has been staying in the warm hide all day, as far as I know. I'm not home all day, but usually I would see him out and about a couple times a day. I may just be being paranoid, but I am a little worried being a new snake owned. I've read that snakes do tend to just sleep for days on end, but it's not really reassuring.

It is very normal for your snake to hide most of the time. It will go through periods of being more active. But will also have periods where it doesn't seem to move much.

To the best of my ability I've made sure that all the pinkies were thawed. But, would a partially frozen pinkie have a bad effect on a corn snake, to where it becomes very inactive?

It is very important that you thaw the mouse completely. Use hot water out of the tap. You may need to change the water a couple of times. But make sure it is thawed.

Also, I have him in aspen bedding, and he buries himself underneath of it after feedings. I haven't been able to find any stools at all except for when I first brought him home. I was using paper towels as substrate then. Does anyone with aspen substrate have problems locating stools?

Yes, in aspen it can be difficult to find their poop. I generally do a "poop check" each time I take mine out to feed them. I just run my fingers through the aspen. If you don't find it each time it is no big deal.

bitsy
10-12-2008, 04:31 AM
Sounds like he's about due for a shed. They become more secretive and less active immediately before a shed, as the process affects their eyesight. In the wild, this would make them vulnerable to predators.

Ftbizzle
10-13-2008, 12:18 AM
Thanks you two. :)