• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

How to switch to live prey.

jrlund

Hi everyone, just recieved a 3 year old female corn snake. It currently eats frozen prey. Would like to know if possible, how to switch to live prey safely. please advise.

Most people would rather feed frozen and are more concerned with getting the live eaters to switch to frozen/thawed. Why do you want to switch to live? If it's eating frozen there is less of a risk of injury to the snake from bites. If it's a matter of availability, you may want to humanely pre-kill the mice or at least stun them to minimize the danger, especially since this snake hasn't had to capture and kill live prey before.

I really thought that it would be better for the snake. But since you put it that way i see that I was wrong. Thank you very much.

Yes, thaw the frozen mice. I have heard don't put them in the microwave, I put them in warm water and let them slowly defrost on my counter in the water, it takes about 10 minutes. Then before I feed it to the snake I run hot water over it to get it warm.

I thaw mine in barely-running hot water. I check to see if they are thawed by bending and squishing them gently. Then I rub them partly dry with a paper towel, just so the fur is slightly fluffy.

I really thought that it would be better for the snake. But since you put it that way i see that I was wrong. Thank you very much.

LOL And that was a lot less painless than the 20min. lecture I got from a reptile vet when I bought my daughter's first snake in.... I haven't been tempted since. She really put the scare into me :D

I thaw mine in barely-running hot water. I check to see if they are thawed by bending and squishing them gently. Then I rub them partly dry with a paper towel, just so the fur is slightly fluffy.

Wow.. you spoil your corns. I let mine air out to room temp and where is a bit warm and feed them off. All my snakes eat them with no refusals, some times a python might balk but that's rarely.

Wow.. you spoil your corns. I let mine air out to room temp and where is a bit warm and feed them off. All my snakes eat them with no refusals, some times a python might balk but that's rarely.

LOL I feed the same way Nanci does... I think your poor corns must be abused :D :D

Back