PDA

View Full Version : Unnecessary items for heating?

Unnecessary items for heating?

Kilojara16
05-22-2002, 10:38 PM
Are heat pads the only heat source necessary for a cornsnake enclosure? What about basking lamps? Do they need those too? Is a thermostat needed as well?

kenster
05-22-2002, 11:25 PM
i use lights. I have them set up on a 24 hour timer. During the day the heat lamp heats up the tank nice. At 9:00 pm it is turned off and a night lamp is turned on. it keeps the tank just about perfect for the night hours. then the day lamp is turned back on at 7:00am...and so on.......I have never used heat pads, although I am thinking of getting some. got too many cords all over the place!!

pdrau
05-23-2002, 12:00 AM
Heat tape or undertank heat pads are probably the best way to create a hot area without heating the entire enclosure like a heat lamp does. I wouldn't use anything else.

Peter

kenster
05-23-2002, 12:08 AM
if you use"spot lights" you can have a warm side and a cool side with no problems. My lights are on stands that can be raised and lowered to create more or less of a warm area depending on what I want. Although heat pads are great from what I hear and read about them. Me being a night shift worker seems like I would want my room to be dark, hard to do with all those lights on though...Hmmmm now I think i am going shopping for some heat pads..Pdrau I'm going to blame you when my charge bill gets here now!! ;)

Iris
05-23-2002, 05:21 AM
I think I've heard that lights dry out the air more than heat pads, lowering the humidity. Not too sure..but it seems to make sense

jim
05-23-2002, 09:14 AM
i use pads on some and lamps on others and am planing on switching to only using pads. pads use ALOT less electricity and don't cause dehydration problems. good luck with whatever you decide... :) ---jim