PDA

View Full Version : Fussy Hatchlings with their food

Fussy Hatchlings with their food

Tim66/corns
10-21-2008, 09:15 AM
I am owned by 21 Hatchlings that I have purchased this year. All are eating F/T great but 2.
I have 1 Abbotts Okeetee girl that only wants live. How hard is it to switch them to F/T. Or will this girl always want live. Live pinky's are hard to find without driving almost 2 hrs. Which I did yesterday for her.
My other is a Butter Motley who is eating F/T but not at every meal time. He is a fussy eater. Will he get better with age or not. I worry about him not taking every meal.
They are all kept in their own tubs, so have privacy. And I put them back intheir deli containers they came in to feed them so no aspen is ingested.
Any suggestions would be great,

And I am still trying to learn how to post all their pictures for everyone to see. I have quite an assortment of kids.

Tula_Montage
10-21-2008, 10:08 AM
I have had huge success with chicken scenting this year for non feeders ie hatchlings that haven't eaten in 2 months since coming out the egg but one wiff of chicken and they are strike feeding :)

Tim66/corns
10-21-2008, 06:22 PM
Thanks Tula Montage,
At least the other 19 are fine. And I will try your suggestion.
Now I just have to get my other one off of live and onto F/T.
Thanx again,Tim

Nanci
10-21-2008, 06:32 PM
I have a couple who either won't eat long before I can detect they are going blue, or who need extra convincing. If someone refuses, I normally reheat the mouse up to as hot as my tap water will go and then cover the feeding container and don't check again for an hour. I also slit the pinks- they really, really like that, especially if I slit the skull, too. How many meals has your girl who won't eat FT been allowed to refuse before you give in and give her live? Maybe you could just let her get hungrier! Especially when she gets beyond the scary tiny hatchling stage.

Tim66/corns
10-21-2008, 10:16 PM
Hi Nanci,
Usually if she balks still at the second feeding I am in the car driving almost 2hrs for one live pinky just for her. What we go through for our pets huh. I will try that with the pinky at next feeding if she refuses. Fingers crossed for success.
Thank yoy