PDA

View Full Version : First Regurge :awcrap:

First Regurge :awcrap:

cdoane83
10-27-2008, 12:51 PM
My corn snake had his first regurge, could they regurge because they meal was to big? It was a weanling but the one I grabbed seemed bigger and he had a harder time eating it. What should I do after he regurged?

Tracee
10-27-2008, 01:00 PM
Yes it could have been because the meal was too big - never feed a mouse which is more than 1.5x the size of the snake's girth - or it could of course indicate a more serious problem.

The most important thing is to not feed again for 10 days. Your snake needs this time to recover and if he eats before his stomach can handle it, he will very likely regurge again, which is very bad news indeed.

All you can really do is keep an eye on him whilst at the same time disturbing him as little as possible (i.e. no stress, happy snake). Hopefully you will not notice anything else wrong and your snake will be just fine :)

Let us know after 10 days whether you manage a successful feed or if you need more help.

Nanci
10-27-2008, 01:25 PM
For his first meal after the ten day waiting period, you should feed him a prey item half the size of what he regurged. I'd go with a smallish hopper.

aznkonner
10-27-2008, 02:18 PM
Sorry to hijack this post but I was told that it was ok to handle the snake a few days after the regurge? My male amel just regurged just last week and while in my waiting period I was told by some that it was alright for me to handle them still (i'm just trying to get them to be use to me and be more docile), as long as it was a few days after the regurge. I've handled him once already but I haven't bothered him much since. Is the advice I got wrong?

Nanci
10-27-2008, 02:34 PM
I personally wouldn't do it. He needs peace and quiet and low stress to help him recover. It's a very big deal to have a regurge. I would also wait 72 hours after feeding rather than 48 for a good long time (before handling).

cdoane83
10-27-2008, 06:44 PM
I personally wouldn't do it. He needs peace and quiet and low stress to help him recover. It's a very big deal to have a regurge. I would also wait 72 hours after feeding rather than 48 for a good long time (before handling).

How long should I wait to handle since he regurged.

Nanci
10-27-2008, 06:55 PM
Until after he's digested his first post-regurge meal.

sarcare
10-27-2008, 06:57 PM
My snake regurged, and I don't plan on handling him, besides to get out to feed, any time in the next several weeks. I'm planning on waiting until he has several successful feeds before I handle him again. So that will be probably three weeks or more--10days to wait until the next feed (half size prey item), five days until the next feed after that , five days until the next after that, and then three days to digest! Then maybe I'll consider handling.

I'm just trying to be absolutely on the safe side--I only open the container to change the water. Other wise, I just moniter temps and keep it dark and relatively quiet.

Nanci
10-27-2008, 06:59 PM
Conservative is always better.

cdoane83
10-27-2008, 08:58 PM
He seems pretty ticked off right now anyways when I first noticed the regure I took the top of his shed cave off and he rattle his tail at me.

simonsays
11-02-2008, 10:12 PM
I would also suggest dusting his next (half-sized) meal with NutriBac. This replaces the gut flora lost during a regurge and helped stop the regurge cycle for my little one. Good luck!

kathylove
11-02-2008, 10:32 PM
Each animal is different from every other, so there is no perfect answer as to when you can handle it. Some will get stressed from handling, and might be more likely to regurge again; some won't. As Nanci said, conservative is better - no point in testing to see if your snake is one of those that get stressed and regurge again.