PDA

View Full Version : Snake won't eat

Snake won't eat

chelslp
10-29-2008, 07:13 PM
I've had my baby snake for just over a week now. I left him alone for the first couple days I had him and tried to feed him for the first time on Saturday to no avail. I completely left him alone again (no handling, or messing with his viv except to change the water) and tried to feed him again tonight. The pinkies I have are definitely not too big, they're warm to the touch, and I don't try to force him to eat them. He just seems rather disinterested and often just views the pinkies as an obstacle to climb over.
Any solutions or tips?

Chip
10-29-2008, 07:14 PM
Is this a corn? I wouldn't sweat it at all yet. They have to settle in sometimes before they feel like feeding.

Nanci
10-29-2008, 07:15 PM
Make the pink HOT!!!!!!!!!!!! Put the snake in a very small container (with air holes) cover, don't peek for an hour. If he hasn't eaten, leave him overnight.

Chip
10-29-2008, 07:21 PM
:laugh: You don't even want to know some of the tricks we use! Assuming it's a corn, you should have it eating in short order.

chelslp
10-29-2008, 07:23 PM
It is a corn! A gorgeous little butter motley to boot! I'm not stressing too much yet, but it would be a terrible shame to lose him.

Chip
10-29-2008, 07:32 PM
It could have been on live until now, but even so they usually switch over easily. I'd just be patient for now. Keep us posted!

chelslp
10-29-2008, 07:38 PM
I got him from VMS and I know that he was started on FT.

Chip
10-29-2008, 07:40 PM
If he doesn't eat in a few days, check your temperatures.

chelslp
10-29-2008, 07:42 PM
The warm side is at 84 and quite warm to the touch, the cold side fluctuates between 70 and 75 depending on how cold it is in my apartment.

Nanci
10-29-2008, 07:46 PM
Oh- cut three or four slits in the pink's back, too.

Chip
10-29-2008, 07:47 PM
lmao! That's the territory where I was hoping not to go just yet!

chelslp
10-29-2008, 07:48 PM
I did! I've been reading up on the forums and trying a few things before I posted. Well, I didn't cut slits in the pinks back... I did cut a slit in the head and it was oozing pinkie juice and he still seemed disinterested! I put the pink on a papertowel and placed it in the warm side of his viv around 11 this morning and he STILL hasn't touched it.

Nanci
10-29-2008, 08:26 PM
Ok, so you need to feed in a separate container, small, where he can't go off and forget about it. Then, you need to make the pink hot, like 101-103F. As hot as your tap water will go!!! And feed at dusk or later.

RobbiesCornField
10-29-2008, 09:56 PM
Track down Tula_Montage. She's the Queen of the Non-Feeders.

measley
10-29-2008, 10:30 PM
I would recommend leaving him for a few more days (at least 5-7) and then try again. When I bought my first corn, he wouldn't eat for about 2 weeks. On the third week, I finally heated up the pink extra hot and then left it in his feeding tank with a towel over it in an area where nobody would walk past or bother him. I came back to find a lump in his tummy. The second time, he didn't eat right away when I dropped the pink in his feeding tank and I wanted to reheat it so I went to pull it out and when I had it halfway out of the cage, he struck at it and ate it up in no time!!

So my suggestion is to first just leave it covered for a few hours and also to try to tease him a little, shake the mouse around a little bit and see if this makes your corn strike! (just make sure you don't touch him with the pink as it could freak out your baby!

Good luck!!

P.S. If these methods aren't working, I agree with Robbie, track down Elle (Tula_montage).

Elusive
11-02-2008, 01:57 AM
The first time I tried feeding my snake, she refused it. I left her alone for about 4 days, tried it again, and she ate. I think she just wasnt comfortable :P

chelslp
11-02-2008, 02:03 AM
Thanks everyone for the advice! I moved his cage to a quieter part of the apartment (I am thinking the cats were sitting on top of it when I wasn't home) on wednesday where nothing can bother him except when I go to change his water.

The last time I attempted to feed him was on wednesday. I was going to try again on monday with an extra hot pinkie scented with chicken.
my only question is, how do I do the whole chicken thing?

Elusive
11-02-2008, 02:07 AM
Personally, I have no idea. I think you would just get the pinkie and put some chicken juice on it or something :P, I'm sorry if i'm not that good of help. I think just get the pinkie really hot. Leave it overnight.

chelslp
11-11-2008, 03:10 PM
Alright everyone. Today, I picked up a live pinkie from work (I work at a museum and we keep 4 colonies of mice to feed the reptiles, large frogs, and birds of prey) and put him in with Midas in his feeding container.
I covered the container, and shut the door to the room. I don't intend on checking on him for a few hours.
If this doesn't work, I guess it's a trip to the vet?

Wish me luck!

chelslp
11-11-2008, 06:12 PM
he did it! he ate! i'm so excited =)

and he's looking rather opaque. hopefully his impending shed goes well too!

Nanci
11-11-2008, 06:37 PM
Congratulations! And this doesn't mean he has to eat live from now on. I'd let him shed without a feeding attempt if you are sure he is blue, then offer a nice hot FT.