PDA

View Full Version : Regurg, need help here please.

Regurg, need help here please.

Filardimarg2
11-04-2008, 06:46 AM
Rio had a regurg during the night/early morning, only a very small part of the sm fuzzy that he had on 29th Oct. This was the first time he had had a sm fuzzy but he weighs 28grm, he had been having 2 2/3gr pinkies before, this sm fuzzy was a 5grm one. The temps are ok at 84/86, but he had been disturbed as my daughter in law had come on sunday & wanted to see him & the others, i got him out but when he was out i realised he still had this little lump in his stomack. I wont feed him again for about 10 days but do you think it was the sm fuzzy being larger than he was used to or being disturbed that caused the regurg??
Marg.

caz223
11-04-2008, 07:00 AM
It's all guesswork, but I'd say it's both.

I'm REALLY prone to erring on the side of caution, but sometimes my snakes will suffer for it, being a bit more on the skinny side at first.
I wait until they can easily eat 2 pinks every 4 days before moving on to fuzzies.
I do the same with fuzzies, I wait until they can easily digest 2 fuzzies every 4 days before moving to day old rat pups.
Once they get on day old rat pups, then the growing starts.
I know that fuzzies offer a lot more nutrition than pinkies, but they're also a lot harder to digest.

Filardimarg2
11-04-2008, 07:03 AM
Forgot to say, he is now clear after being blue so is going to shed any day soon, but wasn't when i fed him.
Marg.

Nanci
11-04-2008, 07:20 AM
If he's clear now, wouldn't he have had to be blue six days ago?? I definitely believe being blue can contribute to a regurge. So a combination of that, big jump in prey size, and being handled before he was done digesting probably all added up to a regurge.

Filardimarg2
11-04-2008, 08:28 AM
Nanci, if he was having 2 2/3gr pinkies then i changed him to 1 small fuzzy weighing 5gr, that is a smaller amount, (not being nasty here, just my thoughts) but it is a larger size. He definitely wasn't in blue on 29th, but he was on the 1st of November, he is only ever blue for a couple of days.
I only got him out on Sunday as it was 4 days after i fed him, thinking it would be ok after 4 days. Was it because the fuzzy was too big do you think, he got it down ok.
Marg.

Nanci
11-04-2008, 08:51 AM
Isn't 2/3 + 2/3 = 4/3, or just over a gram?

Eli173
11-04-2008, 11:59 AM
If you were feeding 2 pinks that weighed between 2 and 3 grams each, going to a 5g would still be a jump in size. Although the total weight is the same, the 2 pinks are eaten one after the other so they are not as wide as one fuzzy.

wade
11-04-2008, 12:11 PM
One thing to consider is that 2 2 to 3 gram pinkies have a lot more surface area for the digestive fluids to act on than does one 5g fuzzy. Also the fuzzy will have hair to contend with.

I’m concerned that if I understand this correctly you fed him on Oct 29 and he regurged on Nov 4. That is a long time for the mouse to remain undigested. Am I reading that correctly?

Filardimarg2
11-04-2008, 05:05 PM
Yes Wade that's right, I fed him at about 10pm on the 29th & he regurged it on night of 3rd or morning of 4th, I say regurged it, only a very small part of it, Neither did it smell, like i have heard it does on here.
Marg.

Eli173
11-04-2008, 05:08 PM
Could it be just poop with some fur in it that you are not used to seeng since you have been feeding pinks previously? I'd bet on it, regurges stink up the place.

Nanci
11-04-2008, 05:16 PM
After that long, it would smell HORRIBLE!!!

I almost took a picture of a poo from Colorado yesterday, just because it was so scary looking. He eats weanlings. The poo looked like brownish-red string covered with hair jumbled up in a big ropey pile. I had a big sniff of it- poo. It barely had any odor. His poos always look like that. If someone was expecting a classic black and white snake poo, it would really scare them.

Filardimarg2
11-04-2008, 05:55 PM
It certainly had no smell to it, it was sort of grey & slimey. Oh gosh i do hope it was only poo.
Marg.

Susielea
11-04-2008, 06:06 PM
Well that sounds like a fuzzy pooped out to me, especially if there was little or no smell. I agree with Nanci, if it was a regurge that late, it would have stunk the house out, trust me I know ;)

So fingers crossed it was just a different poop, which I've had when changing from non furred, to furred food. You could try playing safe and giving him extra time till the next feed, then going back to a single large pink for a feed or two, then step back up in size again if he handles that well :)

Nanci
11-04-2008, 06:19 PM
Sure doesn't hurt to wait the eight-ten days, feed a meal half the size of the last, and cut a lot of slits in it.

Filardimarg2
11-04-2008, 06:19 PM
Thanks for the replies everyone, i have to hope it was a different coloured poo because of the different food. How long should i wait to feed him next?? It should be tomorrw night if i fed as usual (6/7 days apart)
Marg.

Filardimarg2
11-04-2008, 06:20 PM
We posted at the same time Nanci, thanks for that.