• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Feeding & Weight Question

MyLittleGuyCyrus

I was wondering about Cyrus and his feeding schedule. I feed him one pinky every 4 days. He always eats happily! Now by the next day he will have no lump, there is no sign that he ate. I was talking to one person in the chat room and they said to up him to 2 pinkys. But, Cyrus is only 8 grams (he was born around Aug.15). The Munson Schedule says not to feed him 2 pinkys until he is 16 grams. What is recommended here? What should I do?

Also, is 8 grams about right for his age (almost 3 months)?

Thanks!

I wouldn't go up from that, especially feeding every four days! I'd actually go to five days, and slightly increase the size of pink, if you can. (I buy in bags of 25 or 50, and sort them by size, and feed the smallest first, that way the snake has a nice supply of ever-increasing pinks).

Have you been weighing him and charting his growth? Hatchlings grow slowly, because they only gain about 1/3 of the weight of the pink they eat. The weight may seem to remain steady for several meals, then go up a gram, then remain steady. We are somewhat limited in weight accuracy by the sensitivity of a kitchen scale which only weighs in one gram increments.

I have ordered 100 pinkys for my guy! They seem to be about 1.5 his girth (give or take).

I will hold off on uping his pinkys! I do chart his growth....I am actually a little obsessive about it!! I weigh him before every meal!!

I thought that babies grew really fast in their first year. That is why I was concerned about his slow weight gain! But, I guess thats normal!

Is 8 grams an OK weight for a 3 month old??

That's a fine weight! He's probably going to outgrow pinks before you go through a hundred of them, though. That's ok, by then you'll want another snake, just wrap them up well and they will keep for months! Once he gets on fuzzies, he'll grow faster, then on hoppers, a lot faster, then on weanlings- he'll take off and gain nearly ten grams per feeding!

Should I be following the Munson Schedule? I have heard form some that it is BS and others swear by it!

Single pinks (2-3g) every 4-5 days. (Snake = 4-15g)
-Double pinks (3g x 2) every 4-5 days. (Snake = 16-23g)
-Small fuzzies (5-7g) every 5-6 days. (Snake = 24-30g)
-Regular fuzzies (7-9g) every 5-6 days (Snake = 30-50g)
-Hoppers (9-12g) every 5-6 days (Snake = 51-90g)
-Weaned (14-20g) every 7 days (Snake = 91-170g)
-Adult (24-30g) every 7-x days (Snake = 170+)
-Jumbo Adults (40-50g) every 7-x days (Snake = 400g+)

I follow it, conservatively. It's just a guideline, but if you only have one snake and don't know what to do, it's nice. I look at it and think, ok, my snake weighs X grams, and I am feeding him XXX, I'm in the ballpark.

Back