PDA

View Full Version : Baby not eating

Baby not eating

Azul/Corazon
11-07-2008, 04:00 PM
Corazon, baby corn isnt eating. He shows no intrest at all in the pinky, I have teased him with it, kept it under the heat lamp so it wasnt getting cold. I even cut it in half to hopefully make the smell stronger. But he just continues to act like it isnt even there and goes wondering off. My friend who I got him from told me he has had some problems getting him to eat also. He seems to be more intrested in wanting to be held then to eat. I've never had a snake do this before, they've always shown intrest in the mouse right away. He's had the mouse in his viv for 4 hours now and just keeps wondering off and wanting out.

Nanci
11-07-2008, 05:07 PM
First of all, you need to put the snake in a very small container so he can't just wander off. I'd wait four days now and let him get nice and hungry. The put him in his feeding container, which has air holes, with a very hot pink. You might cut a couple slits in the pink's back. Cover him with a dish towel, leave in a dark room for an hour without peeking. If he hasn't eaten the pink, I'd reheat it, then leave him overnight.

I'd feed after sunset. For a baby snake, a container the size of a margerine tub is good.

Azul/Corazon
11-07-2008, 05:11 PM
First of all, you need to put the snake in a very small container so he can't just wander off. I'd wait four days now and let him get nice and hungry. The put him in his feeding container, which has air holes, with a very hot pink. You might cut a couple slits in the pink's back. Cover him with a dish towel, leave in a dark room for an hour without peeking. If he hasn't eaten the pink, I'd reheat it, then leave him overnight.

I'd feed after sunset. For a baby snake, a container the size of a margerine tub is good.

Thanks, I'll try that. ^^ Hopefully he'll eat this time. How long can babies go without eating? He's about a month old Im guessing.

Nanci
11-07-2008, 05:15 PM
He can go several weeks, if he isn't too thin already. How many meals has he had so far, including when he was with your friend? Did your friend get him at a petstore or from a breeder?

Azul/Corazon
11-07-2008, 05:30 PM
He can go several weeks, if he isn't too thin already. How many meals has he had so far, including when he was with your friend? Did your friend get him at a petstore or from a breeder?

I dont know how many meals he's had, I just got him so this would be the first time for me to try feeding him. My friend had him for a month, feeding him once a week, he had problems feeding him last week and wasnt able to get him to eat since the first time he tried (last friday). I dont know what ways he tried to get him to eat though, so he may not have tried putting him in a small container.

He got him from a breeder at a herp show.

Azul/Corazon
11-07-2008, 07:20 PM

edit to my last post, my friend hasnt been able to get him to eat for the past 2 weeks. He's tried several times a week to get him to eat when he wouldnt eat. Before to get him to eat he did put him in a container, so that seems to be what works for him. lol Seems like he's a picky eater or just stubborn.

Azul/Corazon
11-07-2008, 11:47 PM
LITTLE INFO FOR FUTURE SNAKE BUYS: DONT BUY A SNAKE THAT YOU ALREADY KNOW ISN'T EATING WELL WHAT GOOD IS THAT GOING TO DO YOU

I didnt buy him, a friend gave him to me cause he wanted a different kind of snake and he already had 4 snakes.

claireree
11-08-2008, 10:23 AM
I have had a few stubborn eaters like that I found putting them a small container overnight in the dark with the pinky usually works. Not having quite as much lcuk with my bps as they are all on hungerstrike.

measley
11-08-2008, 11:11 AM
I had this problem with my first baby corn... turns out he just needed to be left in a quiet area- and even now he will not eat unless he's covered or in a dark quiet area...

You'll want to leave it alone for a few days, like Nanci, said leave it for at least 4 days before trying again-

It could be stressed from the move to your house from your friend's (generally after a move you want to leave it for at least a week to get used to their surroundings...)

It sounds like if your friend was trying to feed it several times in one week, he may have stressed it out and scared the snake from the food...

Follow Nanci's advice and I think you'll be fine- just remember! no peeking!! and good luck! :)

NannyCloud
11-08-2008, 02:15 PM
I also had a reluctant feeder but just leave your little on alone. Don't bother it don't handle it unless your feeding it. Do this until you get him eating well. The more you stress him the less he'll want to eat.

It worked for mine. I do have to cut the pinky for him though.

I know that it'll be hard not to hold them since they are so cute but just let him settle down for while he'll turn around.

Azul/Corazon
11-08-2008, 07:38 PM
Thanks guys, my mom got impatient though wanting to feed it since he hasn't had anything for 3 weeks. lol So we ended up trying to feed him today and it worked. He just needed to be put in small covered container. ^^

Nanci
11-08-2008, 07:40 PM
Yay!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

NannyCloud
11-10-2008, 07:55 PM
Yeah! Thats great!

measley
11-10-2008, 10:07 PM
I'm glad to hear that the dark container trick worked!!!

And It's nice to hear that your mom is as interested in your snakes care as you!!

Azul/Corazon
11-11-2008, 09:19 PM
I'm glad to hear that the dark container trick worked!!!

And It's nice to hear that your mom is as interested in your snakes care as you!!

lol yeah, she loves snakes too. So she's intrested in mine. She just wishes they would grow faster. lol