PDA

View Full Version : Hypomelanistic Lavender Blood Red??

Hypomelanistic Lavender Blood Red??

Rich Z
08-11-2003, 10:50 PM
Man, that is a MOUTH FULL!!

http://www.cornsnakes.com/pics/babies/hypolavbloodred03_001.jpg

But I guess it's an EYE FULL, so who cares?

Taceas
08-11-2003, 11:09 PM
Is that one of the two you're sending to me tomorrow, Rich? =P

Very pretty!

drizzt_19
08-11-2003, 11:25 PM
MINE!!!!

Rich that is a bueaty...How long till they are available???I can't wait....

Simon
08-12-2003, 12:03 AM
Oh man!
That is truely amazing!!!
First you tell me there is lavender bloodred which I really want already...now you are telling me that there is hypo lavender bloodred which is even more amazing!!!!
Both the lavender bloodred and the hypo lavender bloodred is something that I MUST get when it's avalible and the price is not like $100000 of dolllars~~~~

great job and lovely photo!!

Rich Z
08-12-2003, 01:45 AM
Hey, I've always wanted to say I sold a high dollar corn snake. First $20,000 gets it. Sold 'as is'.

Heck if people can get that kind of money for ball pythons, then why not from something like this?

OK, guys, call your bank in the morning about that loan! :D

Of course, I'll have a coronary if someone ACTUALLY does buy this thing! I guess I can always make another one next year....

Hey! Just for chuckles I'm going to put it on my auction board.

Marcel Poots
08-12-2003, 04:53 AM
That is amazing Rich. Did you produce it from Triple hets or from a Lavender Bloodred het Hypo? or... How?

Rich Z
08-12-2003, 02:06 PM
Well........ ahem.......

I'm glad I put those question marks after the title for this thread!

I snapped off the photos of that animal while pulling orders yesterday, so I didn't have time to inspect it closely. It wasn't until I was looking at the actual photographs that I gave that animal a closer look, but only via the photograph. Based on the head pattern of that animal and the one just below and to the right, I ASSUMED it was from my Hypo Lavender Blood Red project. Sure looked like one to me!

Well, today I am pulling orders again and came to that same clutch. First thing I noticed is that there are TWO of them in that container. Secondly, I looked at the data card on that clutch and noticed that there is NO Blood Red in that gene pull at all. NONE. Thirdly, I picked up the animal and checked the abdomen, and it is strongly marked as you would see in a normally patterned corn snake. So it DEFINITELY is not a Blood Red.

That's what I get for making an assumption. But at least this time of year I can claim insanity.

So now I guess you are all probably wondering what exactly it is then.

Yep, I'll bet you are doing just that....... :D

Russ Bates
08-12-2003, 06:19 PM
silly guess I know but I figure the more guesses you read the quicker you will put an end to our guessing and tell us what it is.
Russ

drizzt_19
08-12-2003, 09:05 PM
Originally posted by Russ Bates
silly guess I know but I figure the more guesses you read the quicker you will put an end to our guessing and tell us what it is.

Don't bet on that some of us a still wiating for name sto be attached to some of his hatchling's from last year...

Rich Z
08-12-2003, 09:50 PM
Actually I enjoy the guesses. I could read them just about forever.... ;)

Rich Z
08-12-2003, 10:40 PM
This one is positively a Hypomelanistic Lavender Blood Red. As you can see, there is a lot of similarity with the animal posted at the beginning of this thread.

http://www.cornsnakes.com/pics/babies/hypolavbr03_002.jpg

And the genetics of the parents match up. The parents are Hypos het for Lavender and Blood Red.

drizzt_19
08-13-2003, 12:03 AM
Rich,

Is it possible that you have an amel gene lurking in those parents???

Rich Z
08-13-2003, 12:30 AM
Believe me, ANYTHING is possible these days!

pewter
08-13-2003, 04:40 AM
"Believe me, ANYTHING is possible these days!"
yes ... I see a few normal - from breeding hypo to hypo :-) ?

Rich Z
08-13-2003, 05:54 AM
That is PERFECTLY normal around here!

I have MANY instances of that happening this year.

Where ordinarily the smart thing to do with female Hypomelanistics het for Lavender would be to breed them with male Hypo Lavenders, I chose this year to breed Hypo het for Lavender males to them. I've been having a lot of trouble figuring out what the heck is going on in that project. Males are ALWAYS lighter than females, sometimes dramatically so. And there is wide variation in just how bright they can be. I have regular Lavenders that have turned lighter colored than some of the Hypo Lavender adults I have.

So I figured to give me a KNOWN starting point, I would breed those Hypos het for Lavender together. After all, the results from such a breeding would HAVE to be either Hypo Lavenders or Hypomelanistics. Right?

WRONG!! In most cases, the hatching babies were all across the spectrum. Normals, hypos, Lavenders and Hypo Lavenders. So I not only blew my chances to have a larger number of Hypo Lavenders to offer for sale this year, I am absolutely no closer to understanding what the heck is going on. A complete waste of around 8 to 12 females I bred this season, as far as advancing my knowledge a little bit. Matter of fact, if anything, this was a big step backwards.

I have a WHOLE lot of similar things that are happening this year, but for the most part I am going to be pretty tight lipped about it. If most anyone else told me that what I have seen happened to them, and I hadn't seen it myself, I would think they lost their marbles.

But you all will be there soon enough. Probably some of you already are at the edge, but you aren't saying anything either.

Things are going to get real interesting REAL SOON.

Taceas
08-13-2003, 11:36 AM
Nothing like our own sort of mystery novel we're cracking the case of here. Don't feel too bad Rich, most great things come during a time of apparent hardship. So maybe you're on to something new, and just don't realize what quite yet. =D

Be optimistic at the very least. =B

sirryand
03-23-2004, 12:58 PM
Rich...I have read and re-read what you said, and it is bugging me...Could you have two seperate hypo genes floating in that mix then? Or am I missing what you are saying?

Rich Z
03-23-2004, 02:20 PM
I would be much relieved to have ONLY two hypo genes to worry about......