• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Urgent help needed

metal_benji

i have a smallish female snow, about 1yr old today i found her writhing in pain almost with her head locked in a 90 degree angle she has been like it for an hour now and i cant think of anything i can do to help her please assist

sorted omw to a vets now my neighbor is taking me. sorry for short response earlier was panicking i know that is the best advice thankyou for your quick response diamondlil. i suppose i was hoping for a 'yes do this' response knowing it would be take her to a vet.
thanks again

well sadly she died while we were waiting at the vets. Im so baffled by this she was fine at about 9:30 this morning then i noticed she was writhing around like mad. about an hour later, by the time we got to the vets she had stoppped writhing and seemed ok'ish but her neck was still 90 degrees to the left. she died in the waiting room. it looks as if she has wriggled her insides out. if you held her skin in one place and twisted the insides (skeleton) around. because the skin doesnt fit the shape she is now.

rich: no she was handled gently and had no where she could damage herself, basic setup with paper towel (she was a fairly new addition) a water bowel and a cave.

Diamondlil: no the vet was totally stumped, she said she had heard of larger snakes having mental issues but never heard of corns having any

I'm sorry for what happened... and for your loss.

Is it possible she got "pinched" between the viv and the viv's lid?

I'm really sad for you...

no again it was a sliding glass lid and she was always well out of the way when i closed it. I was wondering more on the mental side of things though.... maybe someone else has heard of corns suiffering something like this?

Check your temps in the enclosure. High temps can cause that writhing response in snakes. They sometimes spin the upper third of their body in wide circles. If they don't die from it they are usually brain damaged as a result. I've seen this happen with babies that people leave in their car when they go to reptile shows etc. They basically get cooked. One minute they are fine the next writhing to their death. It's not a pretty sight. I'm sorry for your loss.
Terri

I agree with what Terri said. I have seen that too when a snake was left in a car and overheated.

thats why when at shows i find my friends whom have a both and have them hold my new additions.. they never say no.. its less stress for them to be hidden underneath the table untill im ready. im sorry for your loss make sure you recheck those temps tho so it dont happen again.

A longshot (as you were out of the house), but might also be worth checking for airborne chemicals like air freshener, scented candles, paint fumes or pesticides etc being used by a neighbour that could have got into your home. These can be toxic and result in neurological damage which could also explain the seizure-type situation.

I know that when the folks in the downstairs flat decorate, I have to open all my windows as the paint fumes can be easily smelled in my flat.

As I say, a longshot but worth thinking about just in case. I'd agree with other posters that heat is your most likely cuprit.

Back