PDA

View Full Version : Please, not scale rot.

Please, not scale rot.

Nozomi
11-23-2008, 11:12 PM
I'm worried it is. I'm praying that it's just an early shed or something but I looked for pictures of scale rot and couldn't find any. His stomach is fine - just a bit shiny.

Please help? I love my boy.

Jadie.Glitch
11-23-2008, 11:24 PM
Well... personally I would say to take your snakey to a herp vet to be sure... but it looks like scale rot to me... I REALLY hope it's not but if I were you then I'd take him to a vet ASAP to be sure.

Hope it's not and everything goes okay!

Nozomi
11-23-2008, 11:34 PM
I just found a herp vet with high reccomendations in my town. I'll be taking him in on Wednesday, if I can get an appointment, or tomorrow, depending on what the cost of an appointment is. Under 90, tomorrow. Over 90, Wednesday when I get paid.

Nozomi
11-23-2008, 11:35 PM
Also - thanks a lot, Jadie. :)

Jadie.Glitch
11-24-2008, 06:43 PM
Yep, no problem. Just let us know how it goes. I'm glad you found a vet that can look at your snake. Even if it is nothing, it's always good to have a health screen anyway. While you are there maybe have him checked for parasites as well and whatnot... This will save you a trip back if that pops up later...

RobbiesCornField
11-24-2008, 07:05 PM
What it looks like to me is a scale that might have been pulled off accidentally during his last shed. It looks like exposed skin to me (which would be explained by loosing a scale). I have one corn that has a very similar spot on her head. It happened when she shed, and an extra scale came off with it.

Nozomi
11-26-2008, 11:21 AM
YAY!!!!

JUST came home from the vet!

When I took him out of his place, he was in the blue, so I went "OH THANK THE GODDESS IT MIGHT BE STUCK SHED", but I took him anyway, because he's my BOY. The trip was going to cost me 80 dollars, but it meant saving something that'd been with me for a year, and hopefully many more, so I didn't care - I still don't.

I arrived, explained my concerns to the doctor, and the minute he looked at him said, "Yeah, that's a stuck shed" and warned me there may be a scar - which I DON'T care about at all. THEN he told me he wasn't going to charge me!!! Considering I have 200 dollars TOPS to my NAME for the next week, it's a huge, huge relief. I'll post pictures after he sheds.

I'm bringing his next poo in to check for parasites, worms, whatever, etc, but that'll still be a small price to pay for The Boy.

Thank you all SO SO SO much for your suggestions and support. You don't know how much it means to me.

MyLittleGuyCyrus
11-26-2008, 11:55 AM
SWEEEEET.......I am happy that it turned into such good news! Better safe then sorry when it comes to all the little guys that can't take care of themselves!

Nanci
11-26-2008, 11:56 AM
What a great vet! And how nice to have met him in a non-emergent situation!

Weebonilass
11-26-2008, 01:17 PM
What a great vet! And how nice to have met him in a non-emergent situation!

Just what I was going to say :) Glad to hear that it wasn't a big deal :)

breakneck
11-26-2008, 07:06 PM
Can anybody tell me more about scale rot? What causes it and what it does to the health of a snake?

Jadie.Glitch
11-26-2008, 11:29 PM
I'm SOOOO happy I was wrong!!! Yay! I mean, a stuck shed isn't good but at least it's not scale rot ^_^. And what an amazing vet!!!