PDA

View Full Version : Found Mac dead

Found Mac dead

Clutch Master
08-14-2003, 10:39 PM
I found my 11 month old Motley female corn dead in her water bowl this evening. Has anyone hear of anything like suicide w/ corns? At first I thought she was just soaking, but I got closer and her head was under all the way and her mouth was open. She had not been eating well for several months, and I don't know why. She maybe had three or four peach fuzzy mice during this time period. I seemed like she would fast herself. (anorexic?) The last time I fed all my snakes was about 4 days ago. I was getting really worried about her not eating and loosing weight it seemed so I used my last resort- my pinkie pusher. The next day I found that she had regurgitated all that up into her water bowl. Her bowl is relativley shallow filled with about 3/4ths an inch of water, and she should have no trouble getting out of it because I bury it so it's level with the substrate. One more detail. I recently, say within the last week, put some new repti-bark in thier cages, if that would be something to concider. This whole thing is terribly sad and discouraging. If anyone has any ideas as to why this happened please respond.

Iris
08-14-2003, 11:57 PM
I have no idea what could've happened but I'm really sorry about your loss :(
I don't think she "committed suicide" though; it's possible she was trying to get a drink and died in that position.
It's great you worked so hard to try to get her eating well and everything, but sometimes I guess some just aren't meant to make it.

CornCrazy
08-15-2003, 12:09 AM
I am sorry about your loss. I lost a couple snakes a while back. I had only had them for a month when the first one died, then a month later the second one died. I had a necropsy done, and the only thing that was found was Salmonella. If you haven't disposed of your snake, then I suggest getting a necropsy done.

CAV
08-15-2003, 11:35 AM
That is not much food for a yearling. Did you notice if the backbone was raised? It could have been too weak to extract itself from the water. ALso what are your temps like? There are really many possible causes.

Clutch Master
08-15-2003, 11:56 AM
Thanks for all your support guys. But I guess I didn't talk about feeding too clearly. I always offered her a mouse on feeding day, which is every 6-7 days for all my snakes that are around her age. Only she very rarely accepted. Her tank had an undertake heating pad on one end. She had hide-spots on both ends and plenty of substrate to burrow into. So temps were about 80 on warm side and 74 on cool side.