PDA

View Full Version : Aspen or Repti-Bark

Aspen or Repti-Bark

Jak the Snake
08-17-2003, 01:00 PM
Since we got our snake a month ago we have had him on Aspen without any problems. Since reading some of the problems some members have had with Aspen would reptile bark be better? Has anyone had any similar problems with reptile bark and impaction. Also will Jake act any different with a change in substrate.

Chip
08-17-2003, 02:37 PM
but if you only have one snake, why not use it? I prefer cypress mulch to aspen, both are fine BUT can cause impations if fed in-cage. I still say you can't beat newspaper for practicality. If I only had one snake, I'd swap out astro-turf pieces if the cage is on display. I know others have posted that they hate it, but no risk of impaction problems...

Jak the Snake
08-18-2003, 12:39 AM
I have heard the pros and cons of astroturf. Is it the same as Reptile carpet.

AztecPrince
08-18-2003, 12:13 PM
I have a possible solution to the Astro turf bacteria problem. What if small cuts with razor were cut into it and have newspaper for absorbsion under the astro turf? Has anyone tried this? Does anyone see any problems with this? Of course this would be in addition to regular cleaning and the 2 pieces of turf so that it can be dried before placing in cage.

Chip
08-18-2003, 06:30 PM
If you keep a spare or two pieces on hand. You clean the cage weekly, swap out with a fresh piece, bleach and hot water on the old one, dry throughly for it's "turn". I've used it in display cages for years. Yes, if a waterbowl tips, it needs to be removed/replaced THEN. But overall, I just like the look. But I keep it in only three of my 65 enclosures... It's not THAT easy to keep up and I have to cut new ones periodically as it wears out from bleachings.