PDA

View Full Version : I messed up

I messed up

funnynonsense
12-10-2008, 12:34 PM
I messed up big time.

Last Friday I got to go home early. So i stopped at the reptile store to get mouse to feed Phoenix. I told the guy to get me a hopper or small mouse, or something similar. I didn't go to the back room with him to choose it.

When I got home I opened the box and stared in the face by a big - I mean a big boy mouse.

Now once in a while I skip a feeding - and the previous feeding was one of those skipped times.

It was late, and I had nowhere to keep this mouse. (the size I need is really difficult to get frozen. So I've been pre killing.)

I put the mouse to sleep - and gave it to phoenix hoping for the best. Why? To be honest I was lazy to go back the 10km to change it.

She took it - swallowed it - and had a huge bump. A bump that didn't go down. As a matter of fact it got bigger for a while - then this morning there was a regurge of note in my viv. A large half digested mouse lay there - minus the head. - minus the fur - but added smell.

This thing was in Phoenix for four full days and she couldn't digest it.

I'm not blaming anything or anyone but myself. I just wanted to tell you guys what I did. Feel pretty bad about it.

I have her on newspaper now - to keep a better eye on her. She's in blue now, and I'll be following all regurge protocol. Hopefully I didn't do her any damage.

Caryl
12-10-2008, 12:50 PM
I'm sorry to hear about Phoenix's regurge. I hope she recovers well. She should, if you follow the regurge protocols. At least you know WHY she regurged, which makes it easy to prevent a recurrence.

If you're ever again stuck with a too-large mouse, it's perfectly fine to cut it into smaller portions. You can freeze what you don't use, if you like.

Best of luck.