PDA

View Full Version : Baby Sijan not eating

Baby Sijan not eating

samalifagus
12-14-2008, 03:51 PM
All,

I've read several of these threads, but nothing seems to match my situation, and I need help as I am beginning to get very concerned.

30 days ago, we welcomed Sijan, a baby Corn to our home. The day after we brought him home, it was time to feed him, and he ate this first pinkie without any issues. One week later, we fed him again--and though I told the clerk that I had serious doubts about the size of the mouse, he didn't hesitate and ate him.

The following Tuesday (we feed him on Saturdays), he had regurgitated the majority of the mouse. After I called the place where we bought him, they said that it was likely too large of a feeder and to feed him again at the next normal date (again, I was suspicious). However, we brought him the smallest pinky we could find, and after a few minutes, he started to constrict--and then quit after a little bit and never made any attempt to eat (we had to kill the mouse ourselves).

Figuring it was simply too soon to eat again, we gave him a week, and this time he would not go anywhere near the mouse. After waiting another week, the same thing--if anything, he seems repulsed by the mouse. Basically, he has not really eaten in about a month.

His cage temp is 72 in the cool end and 80 in the warm. He's not ready to shed (no bluing, no fading of colors) and he does not have any skin folds. He is a little larger than the diameter of a pencil and about 18 inches long. He is quite active, really, so I can't figure out what is wrong.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Nanci
12-14-2008, 04:13 PM
I guess I'd raise the temp of his warm side to 85. I'd feed him a re-heated very hot pink. I'd put him in a feeding container with the mouse- a small Gladware or something similar, barely big enough for the snake to turn around, with air holes. I'd cut a few slits in the pink's back. I'd feed after dark, and cover the whole thing up with a dish towel, and not peek for an hour. If after an hour he hasn't eaten, I'd reheat the pink and put the whole feeding container back in his viv, closed, and leave it over night.

sarcare
12-14-2008, 04:30 PM
Where'd ya get the corn? I live in columbus and there are LOTS of places to get frozen pinks. Jacks has them, and so do petco and petsmart, AND there is a reptile show that RodentPro visits.

I agree with Nanci, and would add a caveat to not attempt feeding TOO frequently. That can really stress a snake out. Since your snake regurged once, I'd be extra careful about him--avoid handling the snake, and make sure that the temps are spot on. I might also try feeding him a pinkie head first.

I have some NutriBac that is really good to use after a snake has regurged, it helps build up the stomach bacteria.

samalifagus
12-14-2008, 04:52 PM
I actually got Sijan at Jack's, and I have been feeding live. I know Jack's has frozen, so that will likely be my next try.

Right now, I have him in a small container (the box the pinkie came in, actually) inside a carrying cage.

It sounds like I should try the Nutribac...? I'm brand new to actually keeping a snake, but I did a lot of reading and research beforehand.

sarcare
12-14-2008, 04:58 PM
Huh, I'm not sure what you mean--you are keeping the snake in the box the pinkie came in? Does the snake have a regular enclosure, with a warm and cool sides, water dish and all that?

If you want some nutribac, I might be able to give you some or you can order it from several people online. As far as I know, there aren't any stores around here that sell it.

I got my first corn from Jacks, and he is a healthy guy and has never had a single problem eating--he's 75g now!

samalifagus
12-14-2008, 05:24 PM
Oh gosh, no...I keep him in a 20 gal long aquarium with a locking top, with repti-bark substrate, a large water dish and a hide box. What I meant to say was that right now, trying to feed him (I waited a little longer), I have him in the box we brought the pinkie home from Jack's in and we have that inside another small carrier that we bought in case we had to do a serious wash-down of his vivarium. Sorry for not being clear.

Could you give me a web address for the Nutri-bac?

sarcare
12-14-2008, 06:40 PM
Here ya go: Kathy Love sells it--she is enormously helpful and knowledgable--I hope to get her book for Christmas, it is supposed to be THE book on the subject: http://www.corn-utopia.com/Corn%20Utopia%20on%20the%20Web/Nutribac%20information.htm

Right now the best places to look for advice are here--do a search for regurge, Kathy also has a FAQ here on what to do--it is VERY helpful. I have a baby who regurged months ago, and he still gets special treatment.

samalifagus
12-14-2008, 08:52 PM
Thanks, guys, for your help. I've only had the little guy for a month, and I'm attached. However, if he lives up to his name (named after Captain Lance Peter Sijan, MOH winner), I'm sure he'll survive!