PDA

View Full Version : Feeding new cornsnake

Feeding new cornsnake

MADDY
08-18-2003, 04:33 PM
Can anyone help? I bought a cornsnake 3 weeks ago , I was told to feed him/her once a week but after reading up a bit I increased this to two pinkies a week but he/she still looks hungry? How often and how much should I feed?

He/She is approx 19 inches long and appears very healthy. I have no idea of his ahe

I also wanted to know about handling. When we got him he was really aggressive and would strike all the time and rattle. is this normal in a baby? now we can handle him o.k although he will still strike on the odd occassion ? is this normal,

any feedback would be appreciated.

bmm
08-18-2003, 05:26 PM
All is normal.

THe only thing you will want to do is get fuzzies instead of pinkies. A 19 inch corn can easily take a fuzzy mouse, and if he can eat two pinkies he can also easily take a larger size.

Move him up! :D

And yes the biting or striking once in awhile is normal> no snake will ever be 100% trustworthy. Just keep handling him regularly.

bmm

Iris
08-18-2003, 07:18 PM
If you're a person who buys frozen pinkies in bulk, and if you have some pinkies left that you still need to get rid of, bump it up to 3 or 4 pinkies a feeding to finish off your supply. Then move onto the next size.

Chip
08-18-2003, 09:49 PM
So at a foot and a half, he SHOULD be a yearling. That is, he was hatched last summer. I could be wrong, but if he is anywhere in the normal spectrum of "age for that size", assume he was hacthed last year. He's also just getting at the age to calm down with the rattlesnake impersonation!
For the record, my 2002's are on multiple fuzzies. Good luck with him and enjoy! :)