PDA

View Full Version : Snakes and scents/candles/etc..

Snakes and scents/candles/etc..

ZoologyGirl
12-20-2008, 12:46 PM
Hi, I had a quick question about snakes. I'm not sure if this is in the right forum but I suppose it is a health issue.

With my birds I am very cautious because they have super sensitive respiratory systems. No sprays, no teflon, no candles, no air fresheners etc.... I keep them upstairs in their own room and only use sprays and fresheners in moderation downstairs. I plan on keeping my snake in my living room, however, and was wondering if they have any problems associated with them and respiratory issues? Thanks.

ILOVECORNSNAKES
12-20-2008, 01:18 PM
I had also been wondering this. Any answers??

iloveblastbeatz
12-20-2008, 07:49 PM
I feel that it wouldn't be safe. I like to light candles in my room but I don't anymore due to my snake now being in my room. All of the sprays and scents can affect their respiratory system and I have heard they only have one working lung.

Iguanagirl8662
12-21-2008, 12:21 AM
I light inscents all the time in my room and normally put the Igs in the tub for a bath when I light it. If they are in the room I tend to keep the fan and door/window open so the room doesn't fill up with it. I've had no problems for the past 6 years, but I have heard it is not good for them that is why they are normally in the tub. I would think you would be okay since you do not use a lot of candles or freshners.

ZoologyGirl
12-21-2008, 12:23 AM
Yeah I haven't used a candle in ages. Mostly I just have an automatic air freshener in the cat box room (spare room off the living room) and once in a while use a febreeze type spray.

Jammin124
12-21-2008, 02:52 AM
hmmm, havnt thought about this... I get my first corn in a few hours (:) :)) and I light candles quite often. I guess ill have to stop

witicer43701
12-21-2008, 10:31 AM
I cant really say much. I cant say they do notice scents. When I light up all of my animals know what that smell means. But You also gotta think smoke rises and they are in an aquarium...they may get the smell but not the smoke. Just guessing though

RobbiesCornField
12-21-2008, 12:12 PM
I used to smoke in my apartment in Denver, and it never seemed to affect them. I have since started smoking outside (once I got down to Florida, where it's a bit warmer) just in case.

Jadie.Glitch
12-21-2008, 12:53 PM
I have a scentsy fragrant oil burner that I have in my snake room. It's also my mouse room and I occasionally turn on the oil burner to cover up the mouse smell that I can (for the life of me!) get rid of. I guess I never thought it might impact my snakes negatively. Are there any vets (or friends of vets) out there that can give us a definite answer on this??

Jadie.Glitch
12-21-2008, 12:55 PM
Sorry for the doublt post... Maybe I should stop being cheap and contribute that $25 to the forums so I can edit :rolleyes:.

I meant the mouse smell that I CAN'T get rid of.