PDA

View Full Version : First regurge?

First regurge?

dalek
12-24-2008, 08:00 AM
Hey guys... sucks my first post is under these terms. :(

I have a 1 and a half year old amel. He eats great and is just an overall awesome snake. Couldn't have asked for a better snake to start with.

Now to the problem. I moved him up to hoppers around 3 months ago (maybe more). He took them fine, never gave me a problem. When he started to get them down with no problem at all, I moved him up to 2 hoppers. For two feedings, he was fine, no signs of any trouble.

On the third feeding, which was last Wednesday, the first mouse, while in his mouth, excreted some blood and guts (these are F/T mice, btw). It was weird... and I got very nervous because I thought it was the snake at first. When I noticed it wasn't the snake and he finished it, I figured it was okay and that I could feed him the second one. He took the second one with no problem. I thought I was in the clear.

Monday night, he pooped. Again, I figured everything was okay. It wasn't until Tuesday night, sometime between 3 and 6, that I noticed a smell in my room. I went over to his tank and saw the regurge in the tank. You could still identify it as a mouse, but there was no fur at this point.

Now, the reason I'm worried is that I think it might not have been a regurge, and that it was a vomit. And I've read that vomit is worse. I do think that the hoppers I gave him were on the large side, so should I just go by the regurge rules and see how it goes? Also, the temps haven't been perfect, so I'm hoping that's it too.

Any help/advice would be greatly appreciated guys!

Chip
12-24-2008, 09:26 AM
Get your temps stabilized, and follow the regurge rules, first and foremost. It's made it a year and a half, odds are way on your side. Welcome to the forum!

Nanci
12-24-2008, 09:32 AM
Most people don't feed double hoppers- that is quite an increase in prey size. That is likely your problem. Typically you'd go from one hopper to a weanling. So go by the regurge rules, and I personally would restart him on a single fuzzy for a couple meals, then go back to single hoppers for several meals, and then see if you can find small weanlings. I would never feed multiple prey items to that snake again. AND I'd get Nutribac from Kathy Love and use that powdered on all prey. And I would slit his prey now, if you don't do that routinely anyway, until he is an adult. Also, I would cease handling until the second post-regurge meal, just so he has as little stress as possible. Good luck!

Edit: I'd never feed multiple prey items until he's a big adult. An 800g corn can eat two adult mice, or one jumbo.

RobbiesCornField
12-24-2008, 09:35 AM
Just to clear something up: regurge (or regurgitation) is the same as vomit. And I would definitely recommend following Nanci's advice.

dalek
12-24-2008, 12:06 PM
Thanks a lot for the quick replies!

So I just bought a few fuzzies to have for when I'm ready to feed. And I'm gonna order the NutriBac in a few days. I'm just a little confused as to the "slit" technique. I've never done it. Do I just make a small slit in the back?

RobbiesCornField
12-24-2008, 12:08 PM
Thanks a lot for the quick replies!

So I just bought a few fuzzies to have for when I'm ready to feed. And I'm gonna order the NutriBac in a few days. I'm just a little confused as to the "slit" technique. I've never done it. Do I just make a small slit in the back?

Make a few (3 or 4) small slits along the back. It helps to increase the surface area, making it easier for the digestive fluids to get into more portions of the mouse, helping the snake to digest quicker.

dalek
01-05-2009, 07:10 PM
Okay... now I have another question. Tomorrow will have been two weeks from the regurge and, of course, he's in blue. I'm guessing I should wait til after he sheds to feed him again, right?

RobbiesCornField
01-05-2009, 07:23 PM
Okay... now I have another question. Tomorrow will have been two weeks from the regurge and, of course, he's in blue. I'm guessing I should wait til after he sheds to feed him again, right?

That's probably going to be your best bet. Some snakes flat out refuse in blue, while others, if they do feed, may regurge. It will probably be safest to wait until after the shed.

Lennycorn
01-05-2009, 07:29 PM
That's probably going to be your best bet. Some snakes flat out refuse in blue, while others, if they do feed, regurge. It will probably be safest to wait until after the shed.

I have to call you on that one.
It makes it sound like if you feed your snake while in the "blue" cycle it WILL regurge and that is not truth but in this case I agree, it is best not to feed.

RobbiesCornField
01-05-2009, 07:34 PM
I have to call you on that one.
It makes it sound like if you feed your snake while in the "blue" cycle it WILL regurge and that is not truth but in this case I agree, it is best not to feed.

True, true. I meant to put a "may" before that, but in my haste, managed to forget it. Thanks for pointing that out!

Lennycorn
01-05-2009, 07:56 PM
True, true. I meant to put a "may" before that, but in my haste, managed to forget it. Thanks for pointing that out!

Well, let it not happen again.

You act like you been up for 18 hours doing YIR or something.

I don't think "may" even is right but...

dalek
01-05-2009, 10:40 PM
Thanks again! I knew that was the case, but figured I'd ask anyway.