PDA

View Full Version : Magnets??

Magnets??

Midnght
12-29-2008, 11:42 AM
Kind of curious about this. What with pet techs magnaturals and all. Do magnets pose any known problems in corn snakes housing?

danielle
12-29-2008, 12:25 PM
I have used the pet tech magnets in my gecko cages in the past and only had one mishap that did make me discontinue there use though they are seen as safe. One of my females fruitloop the crested some how got her tail caught between the magnets front and the cage. I got her out when I heard her sqeaking, but her tail was pretty mangled though it has since healed. I also believe another male was injured the same way though I didn't see or hear it. I just found him the next day with a suspicious looking mangked tail as well that even though it healed will never look right again. I would be afraid a snake could easily make the same mistake, but these are only my observations and in 7 years the only injuries I have ever seen.

Midnght
12-29-2008, 12:38 PM
that's very interesting danielle. I wonder how they got their tails between the wall and the magnets. I mean the magnets are very strong. Or was it just between the wall and the plastic unit? Ie

<>^ <Critter
___!____
O ! O <Magnets
! < Tail

Perhaps like that? Hmmm.

wade
12-29-2008, 12:44 PM
When I was in college I was very poor and could not afford housing for all of my snakes. I would force-feed each snake a magnet and then I just kept them on the refrigerator door.

Midnght
12-30-2008, 02:51 PM
When I was in college I was very poor and could not afford housing for all of my snakes. I would force-feed each snake a magnet and then I just kept them on the refrigerator door.

ROFLMAO

At least till they passed it and slid to the gorund right? That's what all the traps were for?

danielle
12-30-2008, 03:05 PM
the actual magnet was on the outside with the rock part on the inside, but their tails got stuck between the rock and the plastic held by the magnet. I am sure it is rare, but it happens.

Midnght
12-30-2008, 03:24 PM
thanks for the info danielle I'll keep an eye out and double check the ones I have. Now that I think about it I think I can see how it coudl happen. Have to pull one off see if it can be modified to not happen.

One the back of the ledge so to speak. The spaces where the magnets connect to are covered by some rubber compound I think. Giving it a slight bump. So when against the surface it wouldn't be as flat as it should be. I'll have to see if this is the case and if this compound can be removed for a more seemless joining to the wall.

Did you ever write to pet-tech and let them know what happened?