PDA

View Full Version : Still shedding

Still shedding

Jak the Snake
08-21-2003, 12:29 PM
Jake is going on his fifth day of just hiding. My daughter and I gave him a quick bath today and gave him a thorough drying before putting him back in his viv. He is completely milky white and so are his eyes (about the same as yesterday). Can anyone tell me about how long before he actually starts shedding skin. He is a year old and this will be his first shed with us.

EtherRex
08-21-2003, 12:41 PM
Well, after after his eyes clear he should shed within the next 7 days or so. My snake (and that is all I have to go on) has always shed 3-4 days after her eyes clear. The 7 days is just the timescale quoted in 'The cornsnake manual'. Do you have that book? Its well worth buying.

Anel & Dirk
08-23-2003, 05:25 AM
I just had my yellow rat shed two days after milky, but generally it's 3 to 4.

You'd generally be wize to wait with the bath untill the eyes have cleared up though, but no harm no problem.

If this is ur fisrt shed u might want to check up on some older threads and make sure that da whole shed comes off, especially over the tip of the tail, if ur not sure then just give the snake a wipe with wet paper towel to make sure. My friend bought a cal-king that had it's tail fall off becuz of bad sheds.

MariaOrrom
08-24-2003, 05:06 AM
Hi there,
Can you tell me when they first start to shed. I have a new snake, its only 2 weeks old and the pet shop owner says hes shedding so hes the healthy one. But is he too young to shed or what? He isn't eating. Yet they say his last feed was the 15thAug. He is skinny, all ridges, is that right or is it just his skin? He is quite active though. If anyone can give me some advice as I will take him back on Monday morning.
Maria

Anel & Dirk
08-24-2003, 07:05 AM
A healthy snake should look like a loaf of bread, round up top and square at da bottom, ridges sound bad!

A baby snake (if its healthy) can be expected to shed once a month. And mine is happy eating once aweek - '2003 corn.
Go to Feeding Post (http://www.cornsnakes.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&postid=48759#post48759), and read what's said about non-feeders and how to feed.

Otherwize take him to da shop, maybe they can help you if they know what their doin'.

CornCrazy
08-24-2003, 10:33 AM
The snake which you posted a picture of in the other thread does not look like a healthy 2 week old corn to me. It looks quite dehydrated. I honestly think, if you paid $130 for it, then you need to take it back and get another one.

That little one looks dehydrated. Also, the fact that it isn't eating is another potentially bad sign. Hatchling snakes do not typically shed at two weeks old because thay haven't had time to grow much, yet. They usually aren't fed until after their first shed (around a week after hatchling). If yours is only two weeks old and it ate on the 15th, then the store sold it to you after feeding it only once. That is NOT a good practice. It's ALSO definitely not enough feeding to cause the snake to be in blue phase again.

MariaOrrom
08-24-2003, 03:02 PM
I am really fedup about this! I have waited so long, and even though a nice round active one was picked out, the pet shop owner said " no this is better, its shedding so is a sign of really good health" No way, I could tell when my husband brought it home that it wasn't well. It looks worse tonight. 130euro is the normal price for snakes here. They are new and exciting so people will pay that if they badly want one.
Thanks again,
I was so dependent on your advice,
Maria:(

CornCrazy
08-24-2003, 04:14 PM
Please keep us posted. I would seriously consider returning that one, and getting a healthy one.

MariaOrrom
08-24-2003, 06:17 PM
Yes, I am going to return it tomorrow. Its awful as I have waited a long time to get one, and do so love this little fella already. But it isn't at all looking well, poor little mite. Will let you know what I get and post a photo! Thanks for all your help and support out there.
Maria:;)

CornCrazy
08-24-2003, 09:25 PM
to give him up, but it's really the best thing to do. You will be even more sad if he doesn't make it while he is in your care. I look forward to seeing pictures of your new baby!