PDA

View Full Version : hasn't eaten in 3 weeks!! help pleasee

hasn't eaten in 3 weeks!! help pleasee

nixlibs
12-30-2008, 11:47 AM
I've had my jungle corn for about a year now and I haven't come across any type of feeding problems in the past. He is always very agressive when it comes to eating but these past 3 weeks I have tried again and again on feeding him but he won't eat anything. I figured at first maybe he was in blue or just didn't want the fuzzies that week but 3 weeks is a long time and im REALLY concerned. :(:(:( I usually give him fresh fuzzies from my local petco but for those two weeks he wasnt eating them I decided to try on the third week frozen ones (i thawed them dont worry)...that didn't work he didn't eat those either...should I try live?? I don't know what to do I've had other snakes before and they have never had feeding problems so this is very new to me...

P.S. if i dont respond back right away sorry it's because of my really bad internet connection which always decides to not work at random points throughout the day.

danielle
12-30-2008, 01:10 PM
If he is used to fresh he may be reluctant to take a frozen thawed, but you could always try braining and warming to fake him out a little. If you are going to feed live you may consider that once you do this it may become a habit as well and something you would have to keep up. I would try a fresh pinkie in a few days smaller than his normal meal and see if he takes it. Also monitor his weight so you know when and if he begins to lose weight, but it could just be a winter slump since he is now older and maybe not as hungry as the temps have dropped.

Nanci
12-30-2008, 02:10 PM
I have several snakes that have been either eating poorly or not at all for the last month. All adults. All males but one.

I would wait at least a week before offering again. I might try a treat like a couple FT pinks, VERY hot, not room temp, with slits in their backs. (I find a smaller-than-usual mouse will often get a reluctant feeder going again). I'd feed in a separate small container, covered, at or after dusk, with the lights out. I wouldn't check for 60 minutes. If he hasn't eaten after 60 minutes, I'd reheat the pinks and give him another 60 minutes. If he doesn't eat, I'd try again in a week. When I have an adult that refuses, I often skip the next meal, so they go two weeks between attempts.

nixlibs
12-30-2008, 02:47 PM
thank you so much Danielle and Nanci ill try everything and repost what happens...I just want him to be okay :)

Tracee
12-31-2008, 04:31 AM
thank you so much Danielle and Nanci ill try everything and repost what happens...I just want him to be okay :)
He will be, have faith. He's always been a good eater for you which is very encouraging. They can go a lot longer than you think without food (and when he's old enough, in breeding season, he probably will!).

Cflaguy
01-03-2009, 12:18 PM
"really concerned" just yet. Three weeks is a drop in the bucket.
A little more info may be needed for a further diagnosis. You've had him a year but how old is he, how big is he? How often do you feed? I power feed snakes sometimes and after a few weeks/months they cry uncle and go off feeding for periods of time.
I see you're in New York, how is the weather there? In your house, his enclosure?

BobbyHill
01-03-2009, 04:17 PM
I see you're in New York, how is the weather there? In your house, his enclosure?

This would be the first thought for me. Check the temperature in his viv and make sure it's within an acceptable range. I've had snakes not feed for a couple weeks because of slightly out of spec temperatures, who have eaten just an hour after I've regulated the temperature again.