PDA

View Full Version : Reptile building planning

Reptile building planning

Khaman
01-02-2009, 05:50 AM
I am currently in the planning stages for my reptile building. Right now I am looking at building a 12x16 structure and walling off a small area for rodents.

I found a great page by Clay Davenport on building a herp room and listed what I think will work best for me.

A 60 amp subpanel
Double gang outlets every 6 feet around the room 5-6 feet off the floor
2x6 wall studs for extra insulation
Running electricity and water to the building I would think is a no brainer but it depends on what the county planning board will allow.

Anyone else have suggestions?

LostNFound
01-02-2009, 11:32 AM
just a quick tech question ... if you are looking at a 60 amp subpanel what amperage is your service and main panel? .... you might be looking at an update to all of your electrical. (I mean panels and service)
Also ... what kind of heat and lighting are you planing for. If you are considering a freezer/fridge or microwave in then perhaps consider putting those on separate circuits.
that's all I can think of for now ...
anyway ... I want a reptile building!!! Cant wait to see it!!

Khaman
01-02-2009, 01:10 PM
I think the main box is 200 amps but I don’t know if that is where I will run it from or just another feed outside.

I am not sure about how I want to heat it yet probably just a radiant heater with a Ranco to keep it in check. Lighting will be fluorescent fixtures. I will probably have a small freezer as well.

Nanci
01-02-2009, 01:58 PM
I am not sure about how I want to heat it yet probably just a radiant heater with a Ranco to keep it in check.

Do you mean a space heater? I wouldn't do it. They are TOO dangerous. I bought one for my shed, to keep my plants from freezing, and loved it so much I wanted to get one or two for in the house, till I read up on them. And we've had at least two fires here in my city since I bought mine, that were blamed on a space heater. You are never supposed to leave them unattended, or even go to sleep with one on.

I wonder what an alternative would be, though...

Khaman
01-02-2009, 09:17 PM
What I had in mind was either http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?action=productDetail&productId=41966-88025-BSW1500&lpage=none or a regular oil filled one.

ReptiHabitat
01-20-2009, 09:36 PM
What about the Electric floor heater boards they use in houses. OR if your going to pour a cement floor to build on? You should look into the radiant floor heaters they encase in cement, sometimes its electric others use hot water.

Khaman
01-20-2009, 10:48 PM
Both are very expensive.

El Jefe
01-21-2009, 11:46 AM
Looking good. When I built my building I put windows along only one wall so I could do racks to the ceiling along the other. Plus, you lose a LOT of heat to the cold windows in the winter. I also made my building so I can split in half with a 3 inch styro wall during brumation to make on side cold and the other warm for my cribos, pythons, boas, and babies. As far as studs, I only used 2 X 4's but used an extra 1 inch think styro between the outside wall and vinyl. Double gang boxes are good too...amazing how often you need to plug something in.

Khaman
01-21-2009, 01:28 PM
I am not even sure if I want to put windows in at all. As you said you lose heat and if you want to set their clocks to your schedule you don't want to fight Mother Nature.

wade
01-21-2009, 01:37 PM
I would agree that windows might not be needed. One thing I would do for sure is put a hard smooth floor of some type down and then put all you racks, both snake and mouse, on wheels. That would make it really nice for cleaning and rearranging.

I think heat is going to be a real issue. The heater you posted the link for was 1500 Watts. That is not going to put out a lot of heat. I think you need to research that and figure out what you are going to do right from the beginning. Also keep in mind that 80 plus degrees is too hot for the mice. You will need to separate them thermally from the snakes.

Khaman
01-22-2009, 04:56 AM
I think I’m going to try to find a heat/air unit like you find in a hotel room to do double duty should I need it.

Buzzard
01-22-2009, 08:38 AM
Nt to bad of an idea. However, if you have mice you will need a window to vent the smell. So I like the idea of having a window on one side. Try to keep the shed at 74-78degrees and have under the tank heaters to help with the snakes that need it warmer. Just a thought.

Nanci
01-22-2009, 08:57 AM
I think I’m going to try to find a heat/air unit like you find in a hotel room to do double duty should I need it.

That would be so perfect!

El Jefe
01-22-2009, 09:01 AM

I've thought about going that route too. If you find a dealer that is online or at least ships national, let me know please. ;)

wade
01-22-2009, 11:00 AM
Most heating contractors should have access to that type of heater. You can also buy them through appliance stores. They cost around $800.00. They require 220 volts and I believe a 30-amp circuit.

Khaman
01-22-2009, 11:14 AM
… if you have mice you will need a window to vent the smell. I planned on putting in an exhaust system similar to a bathroom in the rodent area.

Try to keep the shed at 74-78degrees and have under the tank heaters to help with the snakes that need it warmer.
I just deal with colubrids so there would be no need for extra heat.
I've thought about going that route too. If you find a dealer that is online or at least ships national, let me know please.
I was bored at work so I tried to find some online, they are not very easy to find.

Buzzard
01-22-2009, 04:02 PM
Sounds good let us know how it turns out.