PDA

View Full Version : how often should he shed?

how often should he shed?

Hayley9uk
01-06-2009, 09:54 AM
i have recently adopted a 5yo male corn from a family down the street from me. I have never owned a corn before but am keen to learn everything i can. The previous family weren't able to give me any specific information on his eating habits, or when his last shed was. I am feeding him one adult mouse every 7 days as recommended by my local reptile sanctuary. He is eating very well, is not regurgitating, is having regular poo's, but is also showing no signs of shedding.

What is the typical time span of a shed? it has been about 5 weeks since ive had him.

Any adivce or information would be very helpful :o

bitsy
01-06-2009, 10:09 AM
My adults shed about four or five times a year.

Hayley9uk
01-06-2009, 10:11 AM
Should i be looking for a shed every couple of months or so?

measley
01-06-2009, 10:15 AM
It's hard to give you a specific time line on shedding as all snakes grow at different rates. My 2 babies shed about once a month. My adult Corn, who I've had for about 3 months now has yet to shed for me even though she scarfs down 2 adult mice per week.

Hayley9uk
01-06-2009, 10:20 AM
Thank you for that. I guess i assumed that there might be some way to predict a time span. I was a little concerend incase there was something wrong with him that might be discouraging him to shed. But thanks, that bit of info has given me some reassurance.

measley
01-06-2009, 10:28 AM
:) nope. As long as your snake is eating and poo'ing regularly, you'll be fine!

Tracee
01-06-2009, 12:14 PM
They shed less often when they are older because they aren't growing as quickly. I haven't noticed a pattern in my 8 year old for a long time, he just sheds when he's ready :)

I'm sure you've already found this information, but anyway - you can predict it will happen imminently when the snake goes into a 'blue' phase; the eyes go cloudy and the skin looks dull. They will be more secretive and possibly refuse food (it's often best not to offer food until after they shed). They clear up, then a few days to a week later you will hopefully have a shed skin all in one piece.

Are you measuring humidity at all? When you notice him go blue, you can aid the shed by raising the humidity - 'misting', creating a moist hide or simply moving the water bowl further into the warm side of the vivarium are all ways of doing this. However, you probably won't need to. If the humidity is ok you probably won't have a problem. Just an idea for your 'first time' :)

Hayley9uk
01-06-2009, 12:17 PM
I have a digital termometer. but am not sure how to measure humidity. My reptile centre suggested spraying the viv with a fine mist spray a few times a week to help create humidity, but what would i need to measure it? I really do want to take all the necessary steps to provide this little guy the best possible environment

Tracee
01-06-2009, 12:28 PM
Don't worry - measuring humidity is not imperative. If he has problems shedding or you worry the humidity is off, then you can buy a humidity gauge or a hygrometer, I think they are called. For your own peace of mind you may want to :)

So sorry if I alarmed you, I promise a bad/incomplete shed can be fixed with no ill effects at all - and it probably won't happen. You only need to spray during the blue phase, unless you discover that the humidity needs to be raised - in which case a moist hide would do the job easier for you.

I must confess I have never misted nor made a moist hide, and have had 2 bad sheds in nearly 9 years (I can't believe my baby is 9 years old!!).

bitsy
01-06-2009, 12:28 PM
My reptile centre suggested spraying the viv with a fine mist spray a few times a week to help create humidity

Corns don't really need that level of humidity. I live in a centrally-heated flat in the UK, so the general humidity must be pretty low in here. However, I can't remember the last time one of my adults had a bad shed - the indicator that humidity is too low. It's definitely been years.

I'd say misting is unnecessary. Doing it a few times a week is more likely to cause problems with mould and the potential for scale rot.

My usual approach to humidity is to assume that all is well unless I get a bad shed. If that happens, I deal with it and just offer the Corn a humid hide the next time he goes blue.

Sorry - One thing you'll learn quite quickly, is that there are as many opinions on husbandry, as there are keepers to offer them!

Hayley9uk
01-06-2009, 12:32 PM
I really appreciate all the advice. I may give the misting a miss for a couple of months and see how he goes. He does seem to be in pretty good condition from what i can tell and from what others have told me.

I am still really new to all this, but just want to do whats best. So thank u all

Tracee
01-06-2009, 12:33 PM
Sorry - One thing you'll learn quite quickly, is that there are as many opinions on husbandry, as there are keepers to offer them!
Absolutely - a reptile shop I trusted has given me loads of bad advice - feed rats, use calci-sand for substrate, mist constantly.

I always ask on here if I'm unsure about anything, it's the best way of getting every possible opinion!

Hayley9uk
01-06-2009, 12:37 PM
I am really glad i found this forum. I was given a book on cornsnakes, but the info in it seemed very confusing and wasnt really very useful. Im pretty sure u will be hearing a lot from me in the future lol