PDA

View Full Version : regurge ?? help

regurge ?? help

snaky_05
01-08-2009, 09:07 PM
ok so my snake just regurged a fuzzy that was in him for a week...what do i do now???

Saffleur
01-08-2009, 09:50 PM
Now you leave him alone for ten days. NO HANDLING. I meant it. Absolutely none. You change the water and that's it.

When the ten days are up, meaning the eleventh day, feed it a pinkie head...I saw your other thread on feeding that poor thing a fuzzy just to see if it ate it...

Personally you should be removing that avatar since it's the same pic of the snake with the fuzzy in it's belly. That just makes me dislike it ten times more...

Anyway...keep the temperature at 80-85 on the warm side, only a pinkie head in ten days...feed only that for a few weeks then try half a pinkie for two weeks then a whole one.

The idea is to go slow, digestion in ectotherms is a very strenuous process since they cannot produce their own heat. When they lose stomach flora it's not as easy as like humans in putting it back, that's why you take it slow on moving prey size up.

If your snake regurges a second time it's very likely that it will continue to do so until it dies...

Get some Nutribac, or search on this site for Kath Love's Regurge FAQ's.

snaky_05
01-08-2009, 10:19 PM
man i feel so bad..i hope he dont die..thank u so much

BobbyHill
01-08-2009, 11:12 PM
I suggest you give your snakes away to a good home and take up a hobby that doesn't involve living creatures. Say, like model airplanes.

snaky_05
01-09-2009, 12:14 AM
what??? man they do have a good home..im just new 2 this..so i suggest u not say that 2 me..

Tracee
01-09-2009, 08:44 AM
I normally leave posts like this alone but... Being new to cornsnakes is no excuse for feeding your new pet something very large - obviously too large - just "to see if it would eat".

A regurge is a big deal, especially for a youngster.

Perhaps you could spend some time reading the old threads on this forum (not posting, just taking the information in), or even buying a great book like Bill & Kathy Love's (link).

You shouldn't do a thing with this snake for 10 days, as Saffleur noted - plenty of time for you to learn about the pets you own.

I hope you will take this very seriously and I wish you all the best of luck nursing your little one back to health.

Tracee
01-09-2009, 08:45 AM
Apologies, my hyperlink didn't work. Here is the link to Bill & Kathy Love's site, where you can buy a really great guide on cornsnakes: http://www.cornutopia.com

Haya Tha'baan
01-09-2009, 10:33 AM
Quick question: on a corn that is fed two pinkies a week, what *approximate* age could you expect them to move up to fuzzies?

sarcare
01-09-2009, 10:41 AM
Moving up a size of prey item is more a factor of how big the snake is then how old it is. Though you wouldn't want to push a snake too fast to gain weight. I follow the munson plan, and keep track of how big each prey item is, cause some pinkies can weigh more then some fuzzies. http://www.cornsnakes.com/forums/showthread.php?t=50106&highlight=munson+plan
The munson plan recommends at least 24g for fuzzies, but that is small fuzzies.

Haya Tha'baan
01-09-2009, 10:47 AM
I feed mine every 3-4 days....he won't get fat will she??

Saffleur
01-09-2009, 11:23 AM
I feed mine every 3-4 days....he won't get fat will she??

Not necessarily...but it depends on how much exercise the snake gets. Even then please just go with 5 days apart on pinkies. It's safer for the snakes digestive system.

Haya Tha'baan
01-09-2009, 11:42 AM
I take her out everyday unless she's digesting for an hour+. But I'll start feeding her every 5 days...more money for me :> Poor thing though....she loooooves to eat :D

sarcare
01-09-2009, 12:17 PM
I take her out everyday unless she's digesting for an hour+. But I'll start feeding her every 5 days...more money for me :> Poor thing though....she loooooves to eat :D

If food is offered most snakes will eat, even if it kills them. They are opportunistic feeders, which means when there is an opportunity they will eat. In the wild that isn't too often, but in captivity they will eat and eat until they regurge or die. I have fish that are like that--they will literally eat until they die, they will eat as long as food is offered.

Also, make sure you are waiting 48hrs to handle the snake after it has eaten, this is important time for the snake to digest. My snakes usually go and hide for that period, getting the belly heat they need to digest the snakes, and then when they are done they come back out to poop!