PDA

View Full Version : Wont thermal regulate

Wont thermal regulate

melopez2
01-13-2009, 11:26 PM
Hi, I have an 08 normal that does not use the warm side of his viv even after a meal. The cool side is about 72 deg and the warm side is about 83 deg humidity is 65-70%. He has plenty of hides on both sides but just will not use the warm side of the viv. My worry is that he will not digest his meal and it will rot inside him. Does themal regulation come naturaly or do i need to assist.:(

alan
01-13-2009, 11:37 PM
Are you sure of the warm side temp? If it's too hot he'll stay away.
If you provide the proper temps with hides your snake will move where it needs to regulate itself.
My snake is much older, but sometimes she also eats and hangs out on the cool side.

That's a bit humid, I would try to lower that.

melopez2
01-13-2009, 11:49 PM
Ya the temp on the warm side is 83. I have a digital gage with the probe inside his hide ontop of the substract. How can i lower the humidity. Thanks

alan
01-13-2009, 11:52 PM
More ventilation, what kind of viv is it?

Nanci
01-14-2009, 05:31 AM
What's the temp under the substrate, on top of the UTH?

diamondlil
01-14-2009, 06:56 AM
Give the snake a choice of hides and a temperature gradient, and it'll be thermoregulating. Where the snake chooses to be will be instinctive, you don't have to help except getting the conditions right for it. :)

Mugyver
01-14-2009, 12:51 PM
I read somewhere that although they do thermoregulate, their instinct to hide can be greater than their instinct to stay warm/cool, so if it's fairly new, maybe it is scared? I'm no expert, just a thought...

bitsy
01-14-2009, 05:21 PM
As long as he's pooping normally, then his digestion is fine. If he wasn't digesting properly, he'd most likely be regurging.

If you're confident that temps are fine and are still worried, I'd go with the suggestion above of adding more hides. The more ground cover the better really. They like to be able to move around without being seen - some plastic foliage on the ground can work wonders.

There's no need to "assist" a Corn with thermoregulation. Forcing him into a temp zone that instinct tells him to avoid, kinda defeats the object of providing a temp range.

Blue Apple Herps
01-14-2009, 05:48 PM
If you're 100% correct the temps are OK and if he has plenty of hiding spots on both sides, then I wouldn't worry about it. I have a couple of corns that spend most of their time on the cool side, whether they've eaten or not. They eat fine, poop fine, and breed fine. They just like the cooler side. So long as everything seems to be ok, I wouldn't sweat it too much.

melopez2
01-14-2009, 07:34 PM
Hey guys thanks for the info. He eats fine,poops fine, and is very active and loves to be held if i lay my hand in the viv he climbs right on. I will keep an eye on him to see how he does.

bitsy
01-15-2009, 12:22 PM
Sounds like a healthy and relaxed Corn you have there!

melopez2
01-15-2009, 09:09 PM
Ya he is awsome could not ask for more but want to keep it that way thanks guys