PDA

View Full Version : Slight inverted V back shape

Slight inverted V back shape

Bo-Bo
01-14-2009, 10:54 AM
We got our snake Bowser on 12/28/08, and he/she is our first snake ever. The lady at the pet store said it was 4 months old, but I think it's probably closer to 2 or 3. Anyway, Bowser weighed 8 grams, and I have fed him 4 times (3g pinkies). Yesterday before feeding, he weighed 7 grams and I noticed he didn't have the bread loaf shape, the rounded back. I saw a bit of an angle to his back. Is he too small? Should I be concerned about the weight loss? Nervous new mom. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks, Catherine

Cat_Eyed_Lady
01-14-2009, 02:50 PM
8 grams is newborn hatchling size.... normally I feed little ones that size every 5 days, some even every 4 days. How often are you feeding him? Does he seem lathargic? What kind of setup do you have? substrate, temps, hides, etc.?

Bo-Bo
01-14-2009, 03:46 PM
He does not seem lethargic at all. The times I have fed him, he has finished his meal within 5 minutes. I am following the Munson plan, feeding every 5 days. I have him in a 20 gallon tank, with a rock hide and log on the warm side, which is set at 84 degrees, and a cave, branch with leaves, and water bowl, which he hides under. The temperature on the cool side is room temp., around 70-74 degrees. I am using Repti-bark as the subtrate.

My thought was to bump the feeding times to every 4 days, but while he eats every time I feed him, he is not very aggressive; so I'm not sure if he would be hungry every four days.

Cat_Eyed_Lady
01-14-2009, 08:21 PM
maybe you can try a varying feeding time? like 4 days then 5 then 4 then 5 etc? Normally when you can see the spine sticking up like that they are abit thin and coming from a pet shop that doesnt really suprise me so I am sure that just keeping him on a 4-5 day feeding routine will have him back to being in nice shape.

Also, do you have him out to play? how often? maybe he is useing more energy than he is getting? I am not really sure to be honest with you.... just trying to help what little bit I can :)