PDA

View Full Version : Pooping Brown Pea's?? (no pics)

Pooping Brown Pea's?? (no pics)

richm2778
01-15-2009, 10:46 AM
OK. My two ratsnakes are cohabbed. For some reason, the last couple of time my female has pooped, she has her regular pile of poopish gunk, and separate from that, in another area of the tank, she has pooped several round, brown objects, just a little bit bigger than a pea. Last time, there were two of them, and this time, there were two of them. They do not have an egg-like appearance, and they are WAY too small to be eggs. I am wondering what this could be, and if anyone has ever experienced this before. Any advice or information would be greatly appreciated. Thanks, in advance.

Rich

StormRose
01-15-2009, 01:23 PM
Could it possibly be bits of undigested food? Are they hard or do they break apart easily when squished?

I've noticed one of my corns will expel lumps of fur that don't digest into something similar. Her's are always in the feces though, not apart from it.

richm2778
01-15-2009, 01:36 PM
I use a scooped to take the poop out, not my hand. Not sure if they are squishie or not. They have a shiny smooth cover.

StormRose
01-15-2009, 01:48 PM
Next time, try scooping them out with a baggie, then you can look at them a little closer without getting your hands dirty.

I'd also suggest you separate your snakes. Besides the usual arguments over possible cannibalism, there are other health reasons as well. If this new development is due to a illness (not saying it is, I don't have enough experience to say one way or another), you're risking not just one but two snakes because they live together.

Also, stress can cause problems with proper digestion, and cohabiting can most certainly increase stress levels in snakes.

So I'd say the first course of action to take would be to separate them, at least for the time being. One, to be sure that it is the female that's leaving the pellets, two to protect the other snake from anything that may be transmittable, and two to see if the problem changes when they're separated.