PDA

View Full Version : a curious thing happened

a curious thing happened

kshannon
01-15-2009, 01:35 PM
The corn snake who started my herp addiction did something weird last night. Stevie is around 3 years old, he has never refused a meal in his life. Well last night I fed everyone, and I had to buy black mice (f/t) instead of the white ones i normally get, he took one last week with no problem, even my ball python ate one (last night). Well Stevie hit it constricted it, which is normal for him and I put the lid on and walked away. I come back and he spit it out, I tried teasing him with it again and he would not take it so I get a fuzzy (white) out of the freezer and defrost it. He takes it with no problem.

Could it be that the mouse is spoiled? Any other suggestions would be great!

Thank you!

Kelly

zlehmann
01-15-2009, 01:54 PM
damn racists snakes....

(ps apologies for not being able to help, I pretty much just cause trouble here...)

RobbiesCornField
01-15-2009, 02:05 PM
There are some snakes that just won't eat colored mice. I had one corn that HAD to have a white, female mouse. White male? Nope. Spotted female? Nope. Some snakes can be very picky/particular.

tommiegunnz
01-15-2009, 02:11 PM
I've seen that before too, the odd snake I worked with has definitely had a preference for a particular color of mouse.

kshannon
01-15-2009, 02:58 PM
I have heard that also, unfortantly that was all they had at petsmart at the time. It is weird he took one last week. I didn't think my ball python would take it, he is so easy going i was able to switch him from live to f/t the very first feeding and he took the black mouse (f/t) w/ out any problems.

I just thought it was strange that he took it then rejected it.

wax32
01-15-2009, 04:00 PM
Maybe he ate the FIRST black mouse and found it nasty and now won't eat another one...

icepick
01-15-2009, 10:07 PM
i'm having similar feeding issue with my corn as we speak. i gave her 2 pinkies to choose from or take both (which she has done once before) and she did not give them any attention (btw it was seven days from her last feed (1 small pinky). Tonight (8th day since feeding) i gave her a small white fuzzy and she wants nothing to do with it either! what the heck! she until this point has eaten like a lion! suggestions!?!

should mention that she shed at some point in the last 24 hours yet that has never affected her appetite.

Old_School
01-15-2009, 11:17 PM
I have an amel that will not eat anything but a white mouse. I got an order of brown / black mice once and she would not eat. As soon as I put a white mouse in she feed right away ??????