PDA

View Full Version : not too good

not too good

radrat
01-15-2009, 06:07 PM
my snake recently shed, but due to this dry arizona desert, she did not have enough moisture in the cage. usually she sheds fine but i guess something went wrong this time. most of the shed stayed on and only a little came off, so i took a damp wash cloth and let her crawl through it. as far as i can tell, all the shed has come off, but i could be wrong. is there anything i should do more, or signs i should look for to indicate that something is wrong? please tell me any advise you would have. thanks a ton

hiddenhollowherp
01-15-2009, 06:20 PM
Eh, sometimes when it's really dry here, I use vegetable oil (just oil up your hands and grab your snake and try not to drop 'em!) to loosen up stuck shed. It's a good moisturizer too. Once all the shed is off, give her a quick dip in warm water to get rid of excess oil. She'll still be a little oily, but it will wear off. ;)

sober_serpents
01-15-2009, 06:23 PM
you can put the snake in a critter carrier with a tight lid and fill with room temperature water. DONT USE WARM WATER!! if its warm to us, its scalding to them... they are afterall, cold blooded

hiddenhollowherp
01-15-2009, 06:27 PM
Won't that.. Like.. Drown her? :/

radrat
01-15-2009, 06:32 PM
ok thanks for the suggestions

StormRose
01-15-2009, 10:08 PM
I don't think SS meant to fill it up all the way. :) A 1/4 inch in the bottom is usually enough, or just put a damp cloth in the bottom instead.

Be sure to check the tip of her tail and her eye caps for leftover sheds. Those are the areas where it's really important that no dead skin remains.

ZoologyGirl
01-15-2009, 10:14 PM
cold blooded

the zoologist in me hates that word :sidestep:

but yes, like sober said the method I've seen a lot is putting water in the bottom of a critter cage or rubbermaid...with a washcloth sometimes...and let them slide through it for a while.

radrat
01-16-2009, 09:08 AM
how would i tell if her eyecaps for left over shed? would they be foggy?

danielle
01-16-2009, 09:15 AM
They won't look blue foggy, but you should be able to tell they look a little different.

RobbiesCornField
01-16-2009, 09:18 AM
how would i tell if her eyecaps for left over shed? would they be foggy?

If you look at the head portion of the shed, you'll see two holes instead of two eyecaps.