PDA

View Full Version : No shed for months now - Answers please

No shed for months now - Answers please

Daddys Girl
01-22-2009, 04:52 PM
ok anyone know why my corn not shed for about 3 months now?

He's about a year old and eats 2 pinkies about every 8 days. Hes a good feeder and seems in very good health, no obviouse problems.

He used to shed every 4-6 weeks.

Could it be that he now needs to be in a bigger viv to grow more? therefore shed?

H E L P

hiddenhollowherp
01-22-2009, 05:10 PM
That could be the reason.

I've never had shedding issues with my snakes, but a friend of mine recently took in a rescued snake that had never shed before, and when she finally did shed, layers upon layers upon layers of skin that she should have shed before came off. :(

Snakes need alot of humidity when they go into shed. I like to give mine warmish baths just before they shed to help them along. Some people give them a moist hiding place so they can get it off themselves.

Nanci
01-22-2009, 05:12 PM
How big is he? Several of my yearlings are on adult mice, and even the very smallest are eating fuzzies. The size of his viv won't affect how big he gets. A small viv won't restrict his growth. How big is a pink compared to the diameter of your snake? The diameter of the prey should be one to one and a half times the diameter of the snake at the widest part of the snake.

Saffleur
01-22-2009, 05:45 PM
[QUOTE=hiddenhollowherp;772399]That could be the reason.QUOTE]

Unlikely.

As Nanci said, the size of the viv won't affect the snakes shedding. It not eating larger prey to stretch will however. A yearling should at least be on fuzzies provided that there are no medical issues like it having an irregularly small stomach.

I'd say to let it swim in some lukewarm water, remember if the water is hot to you it'll be even worse for the snake.

Then start feeding it on fuzzies. One appropriate size meal versus several smaller ones is better.

Good luck with the snake.

Nanci
01-22-2009, 05:49 PM
We don't know how big he is yet. Three of my 2007's are over 200g, and the two smallest are around 40g. The middle one is about 150 and on hoppers. Of the two small ones, one was a second clutch, and one was brumated...(Not by me!!)

hiddenhollowherp
01-22-2009, 08:09 PM
Well, if his viv is improperly sized, it could either be that he doesn't have room to sufficiently scratch around or otherwise rub off his skin, or he's stressed out and not moving.

It could just be that the little things that used to help him shed don't do the trick anymore. Although a yearling is still pretty small, ain't it? :uhoh:

hiddenhollowherp
01-22-2009, 08:10 PM
Wooah. Nanci, if your yearlings are on adult mice, Ember is a midgit! :(
Poor little mail-order snake.

Daddys Girl
01-23-2009, 02:03 AM
he is about 15-20 inch long anf about the thickness of my thumb at widest part. Think it might be time to step up to fuzzies. The pinkies I now get are pretty good size tho, I personally think fuzzies will be too big for him?

He moves around he viv fine and is a very active snakes.

Not even had signs of being in the blue.

Shiari
01-23-2009, 02:18 AM
I think your snake is beyond ready for fuzzies if it's that thick around. You should get a cheap little gram scale and weigh your little one. My little ghost female is as big around as my thumb, weighs in at 62 grams, and will be getting a very large fuzzy for her next meal, and then hoppers after that.

Shiari
01-23-2009, 02:19 AM
Sorry for double posting, but here's a link to the Munson plan. Has worked great with my little ones. http://www.cornsnakes.com/forums/showthread.php?t=50106

Nanci
01-23-2009, 05:24 AM
My thumb is as big as a hopper...

Daddys Girl
01-25-2009, 04:00 PM
ok this week I will go get a few fuzzies and see how he is with them.

Wish me luck......