• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Regarding The Munson Plan

RulinMJT

-When they're on single pinks (2-3g), I feed every 5-6 days. (Snake = 4-15g)
-Double pinks (3g x 2) every 5-6 days. (Snake = 16-23g)
-Small fuzzies (5-7g) every 6-7 days. (Snake = 24-30g)
-Regular fuzzies (7-9g) every 6-7 days (Snake = 30-50g)
-Hoppers (9-12g) every 6-7 days (Snake = 51-90g)
-Weaned (14-20g) every 7 days (Snake = 91-170g)
-Adult (20-30g) every 7-x days (Snake = 170+) See below.

So i know know every snake grows at a different rate. And it depends what you are feeding and how often. But if your following the munson plan around how long should it take for your snake to go from single pinkies to doubles. and then from doubles to fuzzies. Once again i know it varies by snake but i just want to read peoples exp.

The answer isn't in "how long;" it's more "at what size." I wish I could give you an age or date, but it varies by hatchling. It's the mass of the snake; if they are passing a pink easily in 3-4 days, I always bump 'em up. I wish I had the weight on the top of my head, but even that varies by species.

thanks for your efforts elrojo. its just that im a first time snake owner. I bought an anery on sept 26 08. took it to the vet and they told me it was 7grams. didnt know the age at the time. im trying to get an idea what might have been the possible age. i had been feeding it a single 2oz pinky every 7 days for the first 3months i had it. i weighed it after having it for 3 months and it was 12 grams. im trying to determine if thats a healty growth rate.

A 2 oz rodent is ridiculously BIG for a hatchling, IMO. You mean 2 gram?

I can understand your frustration at not undersyanding the plan, but please don't give Dean the thumbs down. he's a really nice guy and knows how to take care of snakes too.

Also, every 7 days is a little sparse. i would bump it up to every 5th day or follow the Munson plan if you are looking for steady growth. Good luck.

Scott

You have gone from 7 to 12 grams. That is almost double his weight. I’d say he is growing well. Remember that the Munson Plan is a guideline. You don’t need to worry too much about being exact. The Munson Plan is also an aggressive plan for fast growth. Not all snakes can keep up with the pace. The last thing you want is to have a regurgitation. Over feeding is the quickest way to regurg.

I can understand your frustration at not undersyanding the plan, but please don't give Dean the thumbs down. he's a really nice guy and knows how to take care of snakes too.

Also, every 7 days is a little sparse. i would bump it up to every 5th day or follow the Munson plan if you are looking for steady growth. Good luck.

Scott

i apologize. i didn't mean to give the muson plan the thumbs down. im very new to this forum. i thought the icon was a question mark.

Well, FWIW, I don't usually even respond to new snake owner's feeding-type questions and did to your thread because the thumbs down caught my attention! I don't mean to say that I look down on newbs or don't have the time for them; but someone (or three) will always answer thoroughly, provide helpful links, and do a better job than I would within three hours of any question! And should someone post bad advice, it'll be corrected FAST. I just hang around and rant on the death penalty and and cute chicks in Hollywood, but your thread/"thumbs down" made me read and respond!

You have gone from 7 to 12 grams. That is almost double his weight. I’d say he is growing well. Remember that the Munson Plan is a guideline. You don’t need to worry too much about being exact. The Munson Plan is also an aggressive plan for fast growth. Not all snakes can keep up with the pace. The last thing you want is to have a regurgitation. Over feeding is the quickest way to regurg.

Like i mentioned before, I had been feeding my snake a single 2g pinky every 7days for the first 3 months But it seemed that by that time it was a lot more active at night, looking for food maybe. Also the lump wasn't as significant as it was when i first bought it. So Last month i started feeding it doubles. It even ate 3 pinkies fine once but i think its best to stay with doubles for a while longer. The doubles seem to be increasing the size nicely. I was just concerned with the amount of time it has taken for it to grow. Since its my first snake i did not want to end up underfeeding it. Just thought i should ask a few questions to learned a bit more. Thanks for your time and help =)

But it seemed that by that time it was a lot more active at night, looking for food maybe.

Corns will be most active at night, dusk and dawn - that's how they behave in the wild. This behaviour is not significant with regard to your feeding regime.

(And I know regulars will be bored with me repeating myself, but here I go again...) Please don't assume that because your Corn is active that it's:
a) hunting for food and
b) if it is hunting for food, that you should feed it more

Corns can grow at significantly different rates. I have one female that took around four years to reach what I consider an adult size (the average time for that is about three years), and even now she's on the small side. The main thing is that they're healthy, eating regularly and stress-free - not that they're big or growing at the same rate as everyone else's.

In my view, a slightly underfed Corn is more likely to be healthier and live longer than an overfed one.

Corns will be most active at night, dusk and dawn - that's how they behave in the wild. This behaviour is not significant with regard to your feeding regime.

(And I know regulars will be bored with me repeating myself, but here I go again...) Please don't assume that because your Corn is active that it's:
a) hunting for food and
b) if it is hunting for food, that you should feed it more

Corns can grow at significantly different rates. I have one female that took around four years to reach what I consider an adult size (the average time for that is about three years), and even now she's on the small side. The main thing is that they're healthy, eating regularly and stress-free - not that they're big or growing at the same rate as everyone else's.

In my view, a slightly underfed Corn is more likely to be healthier and live longer than an overfed one.

thanks for your input bitsy. That was a very helpful post.

Back