PDA

View Full Version : Not Eating

Not Eating

Iguanagirl8662
01-23-2009, 10:56 PM
For the past 4 years my two adult corns spend the winter in a highschool environmental class. I never had any problems with them feeding and before I decided to take them they were housed together and had no heat and they still ate great. But a few weeks ago I was not able to make it in to feed them and they were fed live mice(I wasn't happy about that) since then they have stopped eating. In the begining of the week the male ate a live mouse that they gave him but I could not get them to eat F/T. The temperatures in their tanks are 76 F on the cool side and 86 F on the hot side but they are never on the hot side. Does anyone have any idea why they have stopped eating? If they keep this up I'm going to bring them back home to see if they are stressed but they have never had any problems before now.

Thank you for any help.

Tracee
01-24-2009, 12:05 PM
How long has it been now, since they ate the live mice? Temps seem perfect so it isn't that.

It could be - and this is a long shot - that they have gone into winter mode. Mine goes off food like clockwork as soon as he realises brumating/breeding season is approaching!!

It could be that one or both of them are blue?

It could be that they have had a taste of live food and now don't want to go back to f/t.

Have you tried scenting or any other tricks to try and get them to eat pre-killed food again? This is what I would try first, 5-7 days after the last attempt. Good luck, keep us posted.

Ruderacer
01-24-2009, 12:37 PM
Breeding season is just about here, could be that they are ready. Ours stop eating during this time of the year too.

Iguanagirl8662
01-24-2009, 02:12 PM
Thank you for your replies. It has been about 3 weeks since they ate so I'm not too worried since both are a good size. The male shed a few days ago so that wasn't his problem. I thought they may have stopped because it is winter but they have never done this before not even last year when they mated. I haven't tried scenting but I try that next week thanks.

hiddenhollowherp
01-24-2009, 06:20 PM
Somewhat graphic post!

My recommendation is a freshly killed mouse which hasn't been frozen. It's a good transition from live to F/T. There's a spot (you'd need to google it) behind the base of the skull, between the skull and the first vertebrae, which can be severed to kill the mouse instantly. If you don't feel comfortable doing this, use a CO2 chamber, which is less painful and less messy (and easier to stomach). While the mouse is still warm, offer it. If they turn up their noses, make little slices or punctures in it (if you go too deep, the gut sack will leak). I've yet to have a healthy snake refuse a mouse like that.

Best of luck to you and your snakes. :wavey:

Adam

Iguanagirl8662
01-24-2009, 10:11 PM
Somewhat graphic post!

My recommendation is a freshly killed mouse which hasn't been frozen. It's a good transition from live to F/T. There's a spot (you'd need to google it) behind the base of the skull, between the skull and the first vertebrae, which can be severed to kill the mouse instantly. If you don't feel comfortable doing this, use a CO2 chamber, which is less painful and less messy (and easier to stomach). While the mouse is still warm, offer it. If they turn up their noses, make little slices or punctures in it (if you go too deep, the gut sack will leak). I've yet to have a healthy snake refuse a mouse like that.

Best of luck to you and your snakes. :wavey:

Adam

Thanks for the info. The thing is they have been eating F/T for a year now with no hesitation, so I don't understand why they would all of a sudden stop. I have tried the slicing that hasn't worked. I do have a CO2 chamber so I will try a freshly killed one.

RulinMJT
01-24-2009, 11:27 PM
It could be that they have had a taste of live food and now don't want to go back to f/t.

I think Tracee is probly right. They probly are just refusing f/t after having eaten live food. You should keep trying to offer them f/t. your gonna have to try to entice your snakes to eat f/t once again.

Iguanagirl8662
01-25-2009, 12:12 AM
I think Tracee is probly right. They probly are just refusing f/t after having eaten live food. You should keep trying to offer them f/t. your gonna have to try to entice your snakes to eat f/t once again.

The only weird thing is I didn't have a problem when I switched them over to F/T last year, they took it just like a live mouse but now they won't even look at it. I don't know maybe they are just being picky now and I have to just keep trying till they take it.

RulinMJT
01-25-2009, 01:37 PM
The only weird thing is I didn't have a problem when I switched them over to F/T last year, they took it just like a live mouse but now they won't even look at it. I don't know maybe they are just being picky now and I have to just keep trying till they take it.

yea just keep tryin different methods. im sure you'll be able to entice them soon. GL

wax32
01-25-2009, 02:47 PM
Hope they begin to eat for ya!

Iguanagirl8662
01-25-2009, 04:04 PM
Thank you everyone for your help.

Tracee
01-26-2009, 07:59 AM
I said in my earlier post it was a long shot, but it does seem that I'm not the only one with a snake who is getting into breeding mode already. Hopefully, that's all it is.

I would add, don't bombard them with attempts to feed every other day, as you don't want to accidentally 'condition' them to refuse. If it's only been 3 weeks they're definitely ok for a wee while.

It's a tough call as to what to do, as they can fast for 8 or 9 weeks (sometimes more) during breeding season. You know your snakes best so judge it yourself - if they are very active, this is almost certainly what's 'wrong'. If they are not active, try scenting or one of the other methods suggested the next time you try a feed.

I have a feeling they've just got other things on the brain! ;)

Let us know how you get on.

Nanci
01-26-2009, 08:05 AM
I don't think ONE taste of live would make a corn who's been eating F/T for a year demand live from now on. I bet it's one or more of wanting to self-brumate, late, springtime hunger strike, maybe going blue. Who knows.

Iguanagirl8662
01-26-2009, 04:25 PM
I said in my earlier post it was a long shot, but it does seem that I'm not the only one with a snake who is getting into breeding mode already. Hopefully, that's all it is.

I would add, don't bombard them with attempts to feed every other day, as you don't want to accidentally 'condition' them to refuse. If it's only been 3 weeks they're definitely ok for a wee while.

It's a tough call as to what to do, as they can fast for 8 or 9 weeks (sometimes more) during breeding season. You know your snakes best so judge it yourself - if they are very active, this is almost certainly what's 'wrong'. If they are not active, try scenting or one of the other methods suggested the next time you try a feed.

I have a feeling they've just got other things on the brain! ;)

Let us know how you get on.

Thanks a lot, this was about the time they mated last year so I was thinking you may be right. I've been waiting 7 days inbetween feedings the last time I attempted was last Friday and I'll try again this Friday.

Iguanagirl8662
01-26-2009, 04:28 PM
I don't think ONE taste of live would make a corn who's been eating F/T for a year demand live from now on. I bet it's one or more of wanting to self-brumate, late, springtime hunger strike, maybe going blue. Who knows.

Thank you. I don't think they are demanding live either, since they have never been picky ever. They'll start up again hopefully.

Iguanagirl8662
02-07-2009, 01:08 AM
Good news, my female ate 2 mice today and almost took off my hand too, lol. The male still has mating on his mind but that's okay he is a good weight, I'm sure he'll eat soon.

Tracee
02-07-2009, 04:16 PM
That's great news! My male is blue right now so I thought I'd offer a mouse right after he sheds but I'm not expecting him to eat. He doesn't visibly lose weight during his winter fasts so I'm sure your male will be just fine too :)