PDA

View Full Version : Tessera Cornsnakes - The newest cornsnake gene

Tessera Cornsnakes - The newest cornsnake gene

KJUN
01-30-2009, 09:50 PM
We are finally beginning to take deposits on our CB09 Tessera cornsnakes. This is the first year that we will be offering any for sale, and the listed price is for Tesseras assuming we do not prove that there is a super form.

Males - $1200/each
Females - $1000/each

What is unique about Tessera cornsnakes is that this is likely the first dominant/codominat mutation in cornsnakes produced in captivity! You can't find anything newer than that.

These stand out and are easy to identify due to their following characteristics:
1. The black lines are obvious. These are never present on striped corns and are so rare on motleys that they can almost be ignored. The new snakes are more of a “lined” corn than a striped corn! ...a TRUE Okeetee looking striped cornsnake.
2. Lateral patterns are heavily checkered in a mosaic-like pattern. The best way to describe the lateral pattern is that is strongly resembles digital camouflage patterns. Normal stripes and motleys have the dorsal pattern absent or modified into a partial, thin, stripe.
3. Ventral scales are usually edged in black (similar to many “het bloodred” cornsnakes but darker and more obvious) and many had partial checkers over much of the ventral surface
4. Overall coloration is that of a NORMAL cornsnake. Striped and motley cornsnakes have a hypo-like appearance. These do NOT. They retain the beautiful coloration of a normal cornsnake while having a striped-motley like pattern with intricate sides.
5. The dorsal stripe is almost always complete from head to tail, and it does not yet seem to turn into a true motley or striped pattern when outcrossed. In most cases, the “stripes” above the spine are, at most, broken in only 1 or 2 small places.

Only a very limited number will be sold this season. Email us for further details, and see out website for a complete listing of our TOS. Shipping is extra, and a deposit is generally required to reserve any animals.

Thanks for your interest,
KJ Lodrigue, Jr.
kj@kingsnake.kingsnake.com

ZoologyGirl
01-31-2009, 12:06 AM
just a question....how do the genetics work for this. if you breed a tessera to a non tessera...will you get tessera's?

also, where did the name tessera come from?

CraziiTii
01-31-2009, 12:49 AM
Wow, these are incredible! If they weren't so expensive I might swing down from Frisco and pick one up! Congrats on such beautiful corns. :)

KJUN
01-31-2009, 05:08 AM
Here is more information on them: http://www.cornsnakes.com/forums/showthread.php?t=70946 . If codominant as believed/hoped, you should get half tesseras in the first generation when crossed to any other cornsnake.
Thank!
KJ

LBoz
01-31-2009, 09:14 AM
What absolutely stunning snakes, KJ. You must be beaming with pride over these beauties!

danielle
01-31-2009, 09:26 AM
That has to be an awesome feeling for you congrats they are definitely amazing looking corns and I would have to say stand out as their own morph!!

vetusvates
01-31-2009, 10:11 AM
KJUN,....it's about picture number one....you just have to keep posting it, hunh? I've been watching it all this time, have it bookmarked, etc. Every time I see that mesmerizing picture, my body shuts down and my brain is lauched into a daydream for the rest of the day.
The reddish-brown and the pale greyish-blue combines to make a beautiful specimen. When I was a kid in Kentucky, I chased garter snakes all summer long. It reminds me of a garter but prettier and with the graceful lines and (likely) wonderful temperament of a corn.
Keep posting the pic. :D

KJUN
01-31-2009, 10:34 AM
LOL. I hope to produce a lot more images this spring to make you think of the good old days then! You'll have to check them out when we end up living so much closer to you....:)
KJ

JNugent
01-31-2009, 11:00 AM
These are awesome KJ. Can't wait to see one in person. I was just at Shannon's house the other day and he was talking about a trip down to LA to get one of these. I would definitely put down the money for one if I had it.

KJUN
01-31-2009, 11:06 AM
Are you the cajun friend Shannon told me about? If so, HI. Well, hi even if not that guy....lol. Be careful hanging around with that old carpet bagger - people will get the wrong idea about you!

What part of LA are you from?
KJ

JNugent
01-31-2009, 11:37 AM
Yep, I'm the one you've heard about.. My family is all from CenLA, Grant Parish. A little town of about 500 called Dry Prong. It's about 30 minutes or so outside of Alexandria down 167. Let me tell you, Shannon proposed the idea of needing some company on the long drive out there.. very tempting. Other than that, I probably won't make it back home until Thanksgiving again.

torsten
01-31-2009, 11:37 AM
Stunning KJ, they were bred to a stripe at some stage weren't they to see if they were compatible. Which year was this? any idea when the tesseras het stripe will be bred to each other (assuming that you will). i will be very interested to see the results of that.

KJUN
01-31-2009, 11:48 AM
Stunning KJ, they were bred to a stripe at some stage weren't they to see if they were compatible. Which year was this? any idea when the tesseras het stripe will be bred to each other (assuming that you will). i will be very interested to see the results of that.

They've only breed bred to a cornsnake het stripe and locality Okeetees to date. More crosses planned this year, though. I WILL be keeping some bred to stripes back...so I can breed them together.....and to the stripe parents that produce them. Give me 2 more long years.....lol.

torsten
01-31-2009, 11:53 AM
I have just had a thought. i thought that when i was speaking to Don that he said that a mixture of Tesseras and stripes had been produced? or am i making that up?

if so there is chance that some of those may have carried both genes. perhaps one masks the other if the above is true.

KJUN
01-31-2009, 12:05 PM
I have just had a thought. i thought that when i was speaking to Don that he said that a mixture of Tesseras and stripes had been produced? or am i making that up?

if so there is chance that some of those may have carried both genes. perhaps one masks the other if the above is true.

At least one has pretty much been shown to be at least a carrier for the striped allele. het or homozygous isn't known yet. Minor detail since it doesn't seem to be at all correlated with the striped allele - or possible even with the striped locus.

Yep, I'm the one you've heard about.. My family is all from CenLA, Grant Parish. A little town of about 500 called Dry Prong. It's about 30 minutes or so outside of Alexandria down 167. Let me tell you, Shannon proposed the idea of needing some company on the long drive out there.. very tempting. Other than that, I probably won't make it back home until Thanksgiving again.

Hmmm, I need to talk to you about snakes native up there....3 or 4 species. :)

As long as you don't tell anyone I was nice to a north Louisiana resident, you are more than welcome to tag along with Shannon for his visit. We are just waiting to see when he can come (what month), what state I will be in at the time, and where the animals will be at that time!

Cornsnake124
01-31-2009, 02:21 PM
thats a full bred corn?!?!?!?

KJUN
01-31-2009, 03:32 PM
You mean pure corn? Sure. It isn't like i'd know how to cross a corn and a garter if I wanted.....lol.

Cornsnake124
02-02-2009, 07:13 PM
that is one funky pattern... I kinda like it....

KJUN
02-11-2009, 07:45 AM
I want to thank everyone that stopped by in Arlington this past weekend to see the Tessera (and a normal sibling). I enjoyed discussing what we know about these guys - and their expected potential - with everyone!
KJ

KJUN
02-19-2009, 04:44 PM
bump.........

ivenner
02-24-2009, 02:58 PM
Those are truly, truly, truly stunning snakes.

We are new to the whole cornsnake thing, and both myself and my son (the official snakist) Euan have a real preference it would seem towards 'standard' coloured snakes.

So we have a list with things like Miama and Carolina on it, and their motley/stripe cousins, however I think the top of the list will now definitely be Tessera.

I guess the big issue is that we are across the pond in the UK. Are there any options on shipping over here?

Cheers

Ian

KJUN
02-24-2009, 03:57 PM
Sure, I export to the UK fairly regularly...and there are at least two companies that will export from me to you for an added fee. I never asked how much, but that will likely be your absolute cheapest route to get a snake or two sent over. If you are interested, email us (kj@kingsnake.kingsnake.com) or PM me to send you their contact info and a few more details.

Thanks for the compliments!
KJ

Those are truly, truly, truly stunning snakes.

We are new to the whole cornsnake thing, and both myself and my son (the official snakist) Euan have a real preference it would seem towards 'standard' coloured snakes.

So we have a list with things like Miama and Carolina on it, and their motley/stripe cousins, however I think the top of the list will now definitely be Tessera.

I guess the big issue is that we are across the pond in the UK. Are there any options on shipping over here?

Cheers

Ian

ivenner
02-26-2009, 04:59 AM
PM'd you.

Cheers

Ian

Drdan
03-24-2009, 01:13 PM
What's the age on the one featured in the photos? Do you have photos of any sub adults, and a ventral shot? I would imagine that they're getting a lot of interest wherever you're showing them.

Me likey! :D

Drdan
03-24-2009, 01:16 PM
Sorry, you did post a ventral shot... :laugh: How about one draped on your arm?

Thanks!

Dan

KJUN
03-24-2009, 01:38 PM
The first two in post #1 are of a neonate. The last one is of a small adult.
KJ

animalhouse
03-24-2009, 04:30 PM
Omg I am soo In love with this morph! So Pretty!

KJUN
03-30-2009, 08:08 AM
Thanks. Eggs are starting now. :)

KJUN
05-16-2009, 07:44 AM
Getting closer to hatching time! We are still taking deposits on a few more for those that want to reserve the best first.
KJ

gimmiks
06-26-2009, 04:46 PM
wow that first one is a beauty ...

KJUN
07-06-2009, 11:11 PM
Babies out and feeding. They'll be ready to start shipping out almost immediately. Email us at kj@kingsnake.kingsnake.com with any questions,
KJ

dr73
07-06-2009, 11:23 PM
Babies out and feeding. They'll be ready to start shipping out almost immediately. Email us at kj@kingsnake.kingsnake.com with any questions,
KJ

So is there a super form or did I miss that post?

tbtusk
07-07-2009, 10:45 PM
Theres not sadly! :( it least it doesnt seem like it. (but please, Kj, feel free to explain)

It got posted a few weeks ago, but I cant remember where.

KJUN
07-21-2009, 03:13 PM
Just a couple of images of 4 babies available for sale now.....
KJ