PDA

View Full Version : I'm a little concerned...

I'm a little concerned...

Suzy
02-04-2009, 11:21 PM
I'm not sure if this belongs here as it relates to my Black Milk, but I've got a little bit of a concern.
I was just feeding my Black Milk, and I noticed something strange. I don't know if it was the mouse or him, so I'll elaborate.
When I dangled the mouse, he struck pretty hard and ripped the skin. It started oozing a little bit. He began to eat the mouse, and when he got to the tail, I noticed him making a sound. It sounded like a really sharp exhale. I thought I heard a slight popping sound, but I'm not 100% sure if it was him, or if I misheard. (It's possible that it was me.)
My question is, do you guys think this could be a respiratory infection, or is it possible that he was holding his breath while he was eating the mouse and exhaled loudly?
When he is finished digesting, I'll give him a closer look. He doesn't have any fluids coming out of his nostrils, I haven't noticed him opening his mouth to breathe - I haven't seen or heard any of the symptoms of a RI until I fed him tonight, and I handle him on a regular basis. (Probably at least 3 or 4 times a week.) He's been acting normally the whole time I've had him.
His temps are averaging out at about 73 - 75 degrees. The humidity is at approximately 35-45%. He's been eating normally (in fact, he's become more of a voracious feeder than he used to be. He's striking and coiling, which he hadn't done before.), he's pooping and drinking normally. There's nothing out of character except for that one sound that he made.
I just went back into my room to have another listen, and I didn't hear anything, so I don't know if I should be worried. He's still cruising his viv after eating, which is what he normally does.
If anybody could help me, I'd really appreciate it. Thanks! :)

Tracee
02-05-2009, 07:29 AM
I'm sure it won't be an RI if the only time you've heard the sound is during that one feed.

Perhaps it was air inside the mouse escaping or something popping, as disgusting as that sounds. Keep one eye on him, but I'm sure he's just fine :)

caz223
02-05-2009, 08:23 AM
Was he just blue?
If he's just starting to shed, the skin around his mouth sometimes 'pops' away from his shed, with some noise. Also, sometimes the shed around his nostrils can sound like a RI.

Suzy
02-05-2009, 09:52 AM
I'm sure it won't be an RI if the only time you've heard the sound is during that one feed.

Perhaps it was air inside the mouse escaping or something popping, as disgusting as that sounds. Keep one eye on him, but I'm sure he's just fine :)

I'd rather it be disgusting like that than worry about a RI. :) Thanks for the help! :D
I will definitely be keeping an eye on him.

Was he just blue?
If he's just starting to shed, the skin around his mouth sometimes 'pops' away from his shed, with some noise. Also, sometimes the shed around his nostrils can sound like a RI.

He hasn't turned blue yet, but he's gotten a bit darker which is an indicator that he'll be going into blue soon. I'm thinking he's got about a week or so before he goes into blue. His last shed was January 9th. :)
Thank you so much for your help! :)

The_Thunderer
02-05-2009, 10:53 AM
I wouldn't worry about it if you don't see any other "symptoms". I've had a couple of snakes make "exhaling" sounds while eating and I know that they're all fine doing fine. My Florida King does it the most... and I think its just that she is so forceful about getting the food down her throat. LOL. Quite the pig!

Between feedings, she makes no other sounds.

Suzy
02-05-2009, 11:45 AM
I wouldn't worry about it if you don't see any other "symptoms". I've had a couple of snakes make "exhaling" sounds while eating and I know that they're all fine doing fine. My Florida King does it the most... and I think its just that she is so forceful about getting the food down her throat. LOL. Quite the pig!

Between feedings, she makes no other sounds.

Thanks for the help! :) It's good to know that I was just worrying about something that's probably minor.
And I think you're the one who got the Black Milk recently, so you know how voracious they can be. :) (Speaking of, how's your Black Milk doing? I haven't seen any updates on him lately. Hint hint. ;))

The_Thunderer
02-05-2009, 11:53 AM
Shazam is doing fine, thanks!!! Haven't got pics of him lately because I haven't had a computer to put them on... (my 12 year old son tends to HOG our desktop... LOL). BUT, I just got a new Dell Laptop, so I'm SUPER happy and elated that my wife got us TWO - one for her and one for ME! LOL.

Sooo, I should be on here more often (again) and should be able to get some updated pics on here. LOL.

Shazam IS voracious!! He had been used to eating live pinks and fuzzies, but has really done well in taking F/T after a little bit of teasing. I used to have to act as if the fuzzy were walking around. Now, I simply have to wiggle it and BANG, he's got it! LOL.

While voracious, I think it's funny that he doesn't seem to eat a fuzzy of a size comparable to that which a similarly sized corn would eat; my corns, I find, tend to eat MUCH larger prey items than my kings or my black milk. Have you noticed this about yours too?

Suzy
02-05-2009, 01:18 PM
Shazam is doing fine, thanks!!! Haven't got pics of him lately because I haven't had a computer to put them on... (my 12 year old son tends to HOG our desktop... LOL). BUT, I just got a new Dell Laptop, so I'm SUPER happy and elated that my wife got us TWO - one for her and one for ME! LOL.

Sooo, I should be on here more often (again) and should be able to get some updated pics on here. LOL.

Shazam IS voracious!! He had been used to eating live pinks and fuzzies, but has really done well in taking F/T after a little bit of teasing. I used to have to act as if the fuzzy were walking around. Now, I simply have to wiggle it and BANG, he's got it! LOL.

While voracious, I think it's funny that he doesn't seem to eat a fuzzy of a size comparable to that which a similarly sized corn would eat; my corns, I find, tend to eat MUCH larger prey items than my kings or my black milk. Have you noticed this about yours too?

I know exactly how that is with a large family like i've got. LOL - i've almost got to fight for internet usage.
Yay! I'm excited to see some updates on him. Has he started tipping much yet? Joakim's nose band has begun to brown out, and on his "cheeks" he's got a lot of black coming in. His yellow stripes are beginning to disappear, too. I'm so excited! :D
When I first got him, he was a bit of a problem feeder. He refused for about 2 1/2 weeks after I got him, but eventually he started eating on his own. Now he strikes and coils the mouse like it's still alive, which is really interesting.
I've noticed that too. My corn is on weaned mice now, and it seems like they'd be way too big for him, but he takes them like a champ. Joakim is on medium fuzzies, and they seem like they're the right size. At the same size (60 grams), José was already on large fuzzies and about to move up to hoppers.