PDA

View Full Version : I'm feeling like a terrible Mommy!

I'm feeling like a terrible Mommy!

MinLynn
02-07-2009, 11:40 PM
Well, something I never wanted to happen has happened. One of my snakes got injured. We brought home our little amber girl, Lovegood, last night and got her all set up in her new viv. We set up her viv the exact same way the others are set up. Not only do we have screen clips to secure the lids but we also use velcro to keep them tightly closed(I own cats). When we put the velcro on we must of missed a piece of the sticky side when trimming down. Anyway, when Matt went in to check on her tonight, we discovered that she had climbed up to the top of the viv and got her self stuck to it. She must have been thrashing around because she has a small abrasion along her neck area where it looks like the tape pulled on some of her scales. It doesn't look like any of the scales came off but there was a little bit of blood and the skin in that area is pretty loose. She's acting okay now that we got her off the tape and is even moving around normally. She allowed me to touch the area with a Q-tip in order to clean the wound without jerking away. She's drinking her water and moving around her viv right now. I did make sure to remove all the aspen and put down paper towels instead. What else should I be doing? Is there an antibiotic I should purchase to use or should I just keep it clean and dry? God, I feel like absolute poop right now!:awcrap: My poor little baby girl!

TandJ
02-07-2009, 11:56 PM
Neosporin or polysporin would be a fine topical if they is concerns.. very like the critter will go into shed fairly soon now.. Don;t be to hard on yourself, it was unintentional and I would think just about everyone here has had a booboo from time to time..

Regards.. Tim of T and J

alan
02-07-2009, 11:59 PM
I think you did good to change to paper towels. You can use neosporin if you're worried about infection, but I think I would just keep it clean and dry and keep an eye on it.

MinLynn
02-08-2009, 12:15 AM
Thank you for trying to put my mind at ease. I still can't help but feel bad even though I know I would never ever hurt one of my babies intentionally. Here is a pic of the wound to see if that might help with opinions.

http://i65.photobucket.com/albums/h205/Min8151/2009_0208Jan19_090026.jpg

DBLR78
02-08-2009, 12:19 AM
Hun i think it looks worse in that pic then it does on her!

ForkedTung
02-08-2009, 01:01 AM
Neosporin or polysporin would be a fine topical if they is concerns.. very like the critter will go into shed fairly soon now.. Don;t be to hard on yourself, it was unintentional and I would think just about everyone here has had a booboo from time to time..

Regards.. Tim of T and J
Sorry to hear that, these things happen and it could've been worse. I would do what Tim suggested, just make sure it is NOT the kind that has lidocaine or any other painkiller in it...She'll probably shed it away eventually to a point where you won't even notice it, like that tail tip on my vanishing pattern ghost. She should be fine

MinLynn
02-08-2009, 01:08 AM
If all she "walks" away with is a scar then I'll be a happy camper! Now here's another question. Do you think I should wait even longer before I try feeding her? What I mean is, we were going to try feeding her in a few days but do you think feeding would make the wound worse or should that be okay?

TandJ
02-08-2009, 01:19 AM
Thanks Kyle.. I didn't think of that part.. Seems like our antibitics work well with everything, but our pain killers/ansthetics tend to have an adverse reaction..

Feed the critter as per norm, I can't see feeding having some adverse problem.. These guys are often more resiliant than we give them credit for, although I can relate to that deep down lump in the chest feeling..

Regards.. Tim of T and J

MinLynn
02-08-2009, 01:25 AM
I know I'm a worrier! Matt keeps telling me she'll be fine and I keep coming up with every reason why she won't be! I'm glad you mentioned the lidocaine because I think that's the only Neosporin I have in the house(don't worry. I didn't use it on her!) I'll go pick some normal stuff up tomorrow. I thought about using A&D ointment since it's what I use on my fresh tattoos and doesn't have any painkillers in it but I'm not sure and I think I'll just stick to some good 'ol Neosporin.

Epi_Les_Paul
02-08-2009, 01:38 PM
Sorry to hear that, these things happen and it could've been worse. I would do what Tim suggested, just make sure it is NOT the kind that has lidocaine or any other painkiller in it...She'll probably shed it away eventually to a point where you won't even notice it, like that tail tip on my vanishing pattern ghost. She should be fine

Neosporin without painkiller would be a safe bet. Better safe than sorry. You corn will do just fine. :)

MinLynn
02-08-2009, 03:06 PM
Got her out this morning to put Neosporin on the wound and she already looks a lot better! I hate having to handle her this much since I just brought her home but she's taking all of it like a champ. Luckily she's a very calm little girl.

MinLynn
02-13-2009, 02:49 PM
Just wanted to update! Lovegood's wound is barely even noticeable now. Heck, I have a hard time finding it, now. All scales are in tact and I don't even think she's going to have a scar. We did attempt to feed her on schedule and she absolutely refused it. She had been on live but we're trying to switch her to f/t. We brained the pink and she still refused to even come near it. I'm chalking it up to stress, really. I did have to handle her every day from the day I brought her home which I know is not good. Since her wound is all healed up we've decided not to handle her at all until the next feeding and see how she does from there.