PDA

View Full Version : Cutting a Fuzzie - Dangerous ??

Cutting a Fuzzie - Dangerous ??

Capt O
02-09-2009, 06:19 AM
In this forum I read a few times that cutting a fuzzie in half lengthwise is an acceptable method in case a full fuzzie is too big and pinkies are not available.

Now I mentioned this in another corn snake forum and lots of "experts" warned me about it. They argue that by cutting the fuzzie some bones might be exposed and hurt the snake.......?

What is your experience with this ? Are there any cases known where half a fuzzie has caused a problem ?

Olaf :licklips:

Nanci
02-09-2009, 06:49 AM
I've fed _pinks_ cut in half lengthwise, and plenty of fuzzies cut in half crosswise. My opinion is that is would be ok, but if you're in doubt, cut in half crosswise! Way less messy.

measley
02-09-2009, 08:41 AM
I've fed a couple of my snakes fuzzies when I either didn't have pinkies available or the pinkies I had were way too small... and I haven't had any problems.

However, I am by far an expert on snakes so I would wait to see what the experts say.

darkmorning1
02-09-2009, 09:28 AM
yeah i cut mice before in half...Everything worked out fine. but cutting it lengthwise..I really think you have a bloody mice mess happening rather then anything else.

Chip
02-09-2009, 09:33 AM
Cut them while frozen solid, it won't be messy at all. As for any danger factor, I can't see a jagged bone posing a problem unless it was protruding from the rodent somehow. Still, if the snake is too small for a fuzzy, just calcium dust a large pink for a few more weeks until the snake gets up to size.